Focal Point
Create synonym for Oracle JDBC

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1321044141

December 06, 2005, 07:48 PM
Dan Morphis
Create synonym for Oracle JDBC
I'm using WF 7.11 server, and Oracle 9i client v9.1.2. I'm using the Oracle JDBC driver which comes with the oracle client install.

I've created my data adapter and it works successfully. When I create my synonyms, it marks all the data types as "A1". Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to why WF is calling all columns "A1"'s?

-dan

quote:
FILE=factors, SUFFIX=SQLJDBC
SEGNAME=FACTORS, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELD=BASE, ALIAS=BASE, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=CATEGORY, ALIAS=CATEGORY, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=FACILITYNAME, ALIAS=FACILITYNAME, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=UMCODE, ALIAS=UMCODE, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=CRITICALFACTOR, ALIAS=CRITICALFACTOR, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=DESIGNSIZE, ALIAS=DESIGNSIZE, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=STANDARD, ALIAS=STANDARD, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=TYPE, ALIAS=TYPE, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
FIELD=ACTION, ALIAS=ACTION, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $

Actual Oracle data types for table "FACTORS":
quote:
CREATE TABLE FACTORS
(
BASE CHAR(6 BYTE) NOT NULL,
CATEGORY CHAR(5 BYTE) NOT NULL,
FACILITYNAME CHAR(24 BYTE) NOT NULL,
UMCODE CHAR(2 BYTE) NOT NULL,
CRITICALFACTOR NUMBER(7,3) NOT NULL,
DESIGNSIZE FLOAT(126) NOT NULL,
STANDARD CHAR(10 BYTE) NOT NULL,
TYPE CHAR(1 BYTE) NOT NULL,
ACTION CHAR(1 BYTE) NOT NULL
)

Test: XP / WF 7.1.1
December 07, 2005, 03:58 PM
Stan
Dan,

I'll reply primarily to bump your question back up to the top. I am thiking this might have to do with the ORACHAR setting. This tells FOCUS whether you are going to use VARCHAR2 or CHAR data types in Oracle. The default is, I believe, VARCHAR2 and as a result my hunch (And it is a long shot) is that you are set up for VARCHAR and not CHAR. FOCUS generally likes you to stick with one or the other, but doing both doesn't always work so hot.

In any case, I'm going to bump this so that a techie can take a look to see if I'm way off base or not.
December 08, 2005, 01:09 PM
Dan Morphis
Stan, thank you for your input. This same problem happened with tables that had only VARCHAR2's and for tables that had only CHAR's.

I ended up working around all this by backing up my .acx files, then creating my synonym using the native oracle driver, then copying my backup acx files over the new acx files; and finally changing SUFFIX=SQLORA to SUFFIX=SQLJDBC in the .mas files.

In the end, its a pain, and I feel should be flagged as a bug.

-dan

Test: XP / WF 7.1.1