Focal Point
reading negative numeric data

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1471024891

November 27, 2006, 11:42 AM
cvernon
reading negative numeric data
I have an input file that was created using Easytrieve. It has numeric fields defined in the master file description (I created the mfd) as D13.2. If the value is positive, I have no problem printing it. If the field is negative, I get a format conversion error for that field. I've searched through the posts and have not found anything that deals with this specific situation. The only ones I have found deal with field formatting for an output file. My inclination would be that there is a problem in the Easytrieve program that created the data...but why wouldn't I have the same problem regardless of the value being positive or negative ? Thanks in advance for any help.
November 27, 2006, 02:19 PM
Francis Mariani
In the data file, is it possible that the positive values have no + sign, but the negative values have a leading - sign. This may be the reason why the D13.2 has conversion errors. You may be able to get around this problem by changing the format to alpha and adding a DEFINEd field in the Master to compute the numeric field.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
November 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
cvernon
Thanks for your reply, Francis. I was testing different things in the master file description and came upon the solution this morning. I added an actual attribute of Z13 to the money fields and it corrected the problem.