Focal Point
[CLOSED] User Profile - Local System User

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1497044895

February 09, 2011, 05:46 PM
gweller
[CLOSED] User Profile - Local System User
I am making my first dip into the world of user profiles and have two questions.

1. I am wondering if it is possible to use a local system account as the basis of the user profile IE (MACHINENAME\USERNAME) instead of a domain based user.

2. Where/How would I be able to tell which profiles have been executed?

Thanks
Gary

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8201M/Windows Platform
February 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
John_Edwards
Wow, there's plenty of open ground in your two questions above. The good news is that what you're trying to do is possible.

First of all, it's possible to tie Managed Reporting IDs to the "local" system account IDs. When I say local I mean IDs local to where Managed Reporting is installed -- this could be a domain-wide ID if that's what your local environment uses, or an ID on the WFClient box. If you're looking to use the user's ID on a machine in the local network a la trusted-node, that's going to be a bit trickier but I bet it can be done. You're going to need to be a bit creative to do it though, and it raises some difficult issues regarding logging in from different machines or different branches of your local network. I'd be very sure this is what you want to do before proceeding too far on it. Trusted node gets sticky pretty quickly, especially with web-based access.

Your second question -- which profiles have been executed -- this could mean which have been executed for the first time or which have been executed every time. For the latter case which is what I'm guessing you want, I'd recommend writing a little FOCUS routine that drops a record into a log table and calling it from each user's profile, or even better from the general edasprof profile. The IBIMR_User environment variable (identifies the person calling WF) can be made available to edasprof, and at that point it can just call the log routine and send it the ID and current time.

J.