Focal Point
Field Placement

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1621032722

May 09, 2007, 01:01 PM
arod
Field Placement
I placed a (non-sorting)display field between two sort fields. How do I get the display field to show repetitive entries only on the first line. I would like for the word sales in the example below to show up only once if repetitive and only show when the Account is different. I guess I'd like for it to behave as a sort field. Is there a way to do this?

Example

Account Acct Desc. Acct Unit
3010 Sales 100510
Sales
Sales
Sales
May 09, 2007, 01:11 PM
Leah
quote:
placed a (non-sorting)display field between two sort fields. How do I get the display field to show repetitive entries only on the first line. I would like for the word sales in the example below to show up only once if repetitive and only show when the Account is different. I guess I'd like for it to behave as a sort field. Is there a way to do this?

Is the field a computed field or a defined field?

Leah
May 09, 2007, 01:12 PM
arod
it is a defined field
May 09, 2007, 01:29 PM
Leah
How about using compute instead. Silly Car example
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM COMPUTE FAKEIT/A7 = IF COUNTRY EQ LAST COUNTRY THEN ' ' ELSE 'FAKEIT';
BY COUNTRY
PRINT CAR SALES DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY
END

Assumption is on the else, you know what you want to plug in, of course you might have to do a bit more testing if the description is not constant.

Leah
May 09, 2007, 01:31 PM
ET
I'm probably not interpreting you problem precisely but here is an example using the car file. This sorts by country and model with the car in between.

Good Luck.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COMPUTE CAR1/A16= IF COUNTRY EQ LAST COUNTRY AND
CAR EQ LAST CAR THEN ' ' ELSE CAR;
MODEL
BY COUNTRY BY MODEL NOPRINT
END

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL
May 09, 2007, 01:41 PM
arod
Thanks for your responses, I'll play around with these suggestions.