Focal Point
Understanding WebFOCUS repository

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1661089881

October 03, 2006, 12:46 PM
sathyanveshi
Understanding WebFOCUS repository
Hi,

I would like to understand more about the WebFOCUS repository. What I mean by "Repository" is the database/file where the user info gets stored like the username, password, his privileges and access to different domains and reports.

Given this, I have a few questions:

1. What's the default file system for repository? (Flat file, XML file, RDMBS etc)

2. Can I use a RDBMS as the repository?

3. What can be saved and retrieved out of this repository?

4. Can I connect to the repository using a ODBC or any other connection and retrieve information out of it? Is such an access provided by WebFOCUS to directly query the repository and generate reports?

Thanks...

Cheers,
Mohan
October 03, 2006, 03:05 PM
KevinG
Mohan,

Assuming you are referring to the MRE repository;

1. The default is an HTML file based system.

2. Yes a variety of RDBMS are supported, but not all or any. We use DB2, I know MS SQL is an option, Active Directory and LDAP are other options.

3. This repository is rather specific to MRE, but IBI should be able to provide the DDAs if you don't have them already.

4. IBI provides APIs to Insert, Select, Update, Delete from this repository. Select can be done with you favorite tool.

Hope this helps,

kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX
October 03, 2006, 09:28 PM
susannah
or are you referring to the Report Caster repository, which is the database type you choose ( focus, oracle, sql, whatever) to keep track of all the scheduled jobs, logs, parameters, email addresses, etc, that ReportCaster needs.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
October 06, 2006, 09:39 AM
Trav
You might look at this thread for an answer to #4. With some help from Francis, I was able to create a master file against the USER.HTM (which is the default MRE repository that you speak of). Once you have a master, then you can write reports against it...

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/3411070661

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF