Focal Point
Can 0 records found = No Distribution & append notification to another fex?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1721051672

March 14, 2008, 01:17 PM
Chris Austin
Can 0 records found = No Distribution & append notification to another fex?
Report A is run daily by A.fex. Reports B & C are related to A (A=transactionsDaily; B=holdingsByDealer; C=holdingsByName), and are created by running B.fex and C.fex respectively. Report A is generated and distributed by Report Caster...when it does not find any records to report for that day, it is distributed empty.

My requirements for this enhancement are...

When Report A contains no records:
  • Cancel distribution of the report
  • Append a string to the bottom of both reports B & C that reads (para) "***There were no transactions for yesterday***"

I was hoping that someone might have run into this requirement in the past, and could point me in the right direction...more for the second requirement than the first. Thanks!

• DevStudio 766 Servlet - Self Service - MS Windows XP SP2, (output) Excel, PDF, HTML
    March 14, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Darin Lee
    Question 1:
    Easiest thing to do is run your request then add the following to the bottom
    -RUN
    -SET &&KILL_RPC = IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';

&&KILL_RPC is a reserved var for Report Caster that tells it to end immediately - no distribution

Question 2:
    You would need to run report A again and test &LINES.
    -RUN
    -SET &NORECORDS=IF &LINES EQ 0 THEN '***There were no transactions for yesterday***' ELSE '';

Then in reports B and C you could include
    ON TABLE SUBFOOT
    "&NORECORDS"

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
    WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
    Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
    WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
    March 17, 2008, 08:51 AM
    PBrightwell
    You could create a file with the record count and read that file in before processing reports B and C. Something like:

-* This is to save the original record count
    -SET &TTLCNT=&LINES;
    SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
    FILEDEF DAILYCNT DISK /yourpath/DAILYCNT&YYMD.EVAL.TXT
    DEFINE FILE CAR
    CNT_RCS/D8=&TTLCNT;
    END
    TABLE FILE CAR
    PRINT CNT_RCS
    BY CAR NOPRINT
    WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
    ON TABLE SAVE AS DAILYCNT
    END

-* (then use Darin's suggestion)
    -SET &&KILL_RPC = IF &TTLCNT EQ 0 THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N';

then in B & C
    you would repeat the filedef and:
    -READ DAILYCNT &RCS.D8.
    -RUN
    -IF &RCS EQ 0 THEN GOTO NORECS;

Pat
    WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
    AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
    Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes
    March 17, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Chris Austin
    Thanks for the ideas! I couldn't remote in over the weekend, so I'm attempting to code this today. I'll post later on about how it all came out.
    March 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
    cburtt
    All:

Don't we just love IBI's undocumented &&vars like Darrin Lee's disclosure of &&KILL_RPC?

This complaint is often voiced at user group and Summit meetings. If anyone knows of a COMPLETE list of all such, please post a reference to its location.

[My suspecion is that IBI keeps these hidden because many deal with system security values (I've seen a few of them), which if publically known would promote 'hacker heaven'.]

We've had an issue for years about not wanting to use RCaster notification 'None', but had to do so to eliminate 'No report to distribute' e-mails that come out as "errors" when the output is FTP'd or FILEDEF'd elsewhere.

Chris Austin:

I hope that your reports A and B are true reports that contain some records/lines. If they are themselves &LINES EQ 0, and are forced to print by using SET EMPTYREPORT=ON, then your "***There were no transactions for yesterday***" remark won't show in a FOOTER "at the bottom of both reports".

We've pointed out to IBI that the FOOTER text does not print when an empty report is forced by EMPTYREPORT=ON. They have passed our issue to their product improvement group.

Chris Burtt

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
    Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
    Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.
    March 17, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Darin Lee
    &&KILL_RPC is actually in the documentation, although you probably wouldn't find it unless you already knew exactly what you were looking for and/or knew it was in there somewhere. You'll find it in Appendix B of the Report Caster User's Manual.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
    WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
    Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
    WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
    March 17, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Chris Austin
    quote:
    Originally posted by cburtt:
    All:

Don't we just love IBI's undocumented &&vars like Darrin Lee's disclosure of &&KILL_RPC?

This complaint is often voiced at user group and Summit meetings. If anyone knows of a COMPLETE list of all such, please post a reference to its location.

[My suspecion is that IBI keeps these hidden because many deal with system security values (I've seen a few of them), which if publically known would promote 'hacker heaven'.]

We've had an issue for years about not wanting to use RCaster notification 'None', but had to do so to eliminate 'No report to distribute' e-mails that come out as "errors" when the output is FTP'd or FILEDEF'd elsewhere.

I've probably read 1000 pages of WebFocus documentation since November, and there is no way that I would dig through it in lieu of posting a question here or referring to an existing .fex w/ the functionality I'm dealing with (9/10 instances where research is needed, this is how I figure it out).

Documenting an application with such a large scope is no joke...I'm sure we'd all appreciate more relevant 1-pagers, quick hits, something to thumbtack on the wall and refer to, etc...though it could be a lot worse!

quote:
    Chris Austin:

I hope that your reports A and B are true reports that contain some records/lines. If they are themselves &LINES EQ 0, and are forced to print by using SET EMPTYREPORT=ON, then your "***There were no transactions for yesterday***" remark won't show in a FOOTER "at the bottom of both reports".

We've pointed out to IBI that the FOOTER text does not print when an empty report is forced by EMPTYREPORT=ON. They have passed our issue to their product improvement group.

Chris Burtt

Thanks for the heads-up. Both of the downstream reports will always contain lines.

DevStudio 766 Servlet - Self Service - MS Windows XP SP2, (output) Excel, PDF, HTML
    March 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
    N.Selph
    As has been mentioned recently in another post, SET EMPTYREPORT=ANSI
    prints the footer.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)