Focal Point
[CLOSED] Using Rest Web Service from WebFOCUS. Is it a best practice?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1897081886

October 30, 2017, 03:54 PM
WFConsultant
[CLOSED] Using Rest Web Service from WebFOCUS. Is it a best practice?
I see there is decent documentation for IBI Web Services. Particularly when used from non-IBI technologies such as java, .net, etc. However, I am not finding any documentation to use web Services from within WebFOCUS. That is, creating master files from the REST adapter, passing parameters, etc. I am wondering if it is a best practice to use Web Services from WebFOCUS. I for sure want to. For example, I have used DSTRUN in the past. Now I am trying to use ReportCaster Web Services, I am trying to pass parameters, etc. I am spending lot of time for the lack for proper documentation. If there is any document then, please let me know. Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8207.11
App Studio 8207
October 31, 2017, 08:49 AM
BabakNYC
This is the only doc I see in the library.

https://webfocusinfocenter.inf...webservices_8201.pdf

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
October 31, 2017, 09:45 AM
WFConsultant
quote:
Originally posted by BabakNYC:
This is the only doc I see in the library.

That is my point! This document does not have information about using web services from WebFOCUS. No document has such information as far my research goes.

WebFOCUS 8207.11
App Studio 8207
October 31, 2017, 10:03 AM
Tom Flynn
Technical Support --> Search Technical Content --> "Web Services" (use double quotes) --> Find latest version of documentation...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe
October 31, 2017, 10:12 AM
WFConsultant
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Flynn:
Technical Support --> Search Technical Content --> "Web Services" (use double quotes) --> Find latest version of documentation...

May be I am not explaining correctly. There is no document to use Web Service from fex using masters files generated for Web Services.

WebFOCUS 8207.11
App Studio 8207
October 31, 2017, 01:09 PM
Efrem
There is no documentation for having the REST adapter call WebFOCUS RESTful Web Service.
Integration with WebFOCUS/ReportCaster via the REST adapter is not a product.

The REST adapter is used to integrate with RESTful Web Services.
WebFOCUS/ReportCaster is just one of the Web Services it integrates with.

So, given that, parameters are passed to WebFOCUS RESTful Web Services the same way the REST adapter integrates with any Web Service.
That is with WHERE/IF clauses.

The values that need to be passed our documented in the WebFOCUS Web Services RESTful Developers Guide.
It would be the same for .NET or Java Developers you need to determine the parameter values that need to be passed in VB, C#, or Java programs.

I have a number of examples which I have already posted in previous FocalPoint threads.

If you need a particular example, let me know and I'll be happy to post it.

Efrem