Focal Point
CHAIN LINKING BOTH WAYS

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1911066651

March 01, 2006, 06:19 AM
Anubha Saini
CHAIN LINKING BOTH WAYS
Can we chain link controls bothways like I linked 3 dropdowns called (1)Region, (2)Division, (3)Subdivision. If region is selected then division and subdivision are populated automatically. If I select (2)Division first, then can I get (1)Region dropdown automatically filled with regions which contains selected division.
Can anyone help
March 01, 2006, 10:08 AM
Tony A
The IB supplied javascript module that completes the dynamic HTML chaining is ibirls.js but only supports uni-directional chaining.

If you want bi-directional the you will have to resort to coding the javascript yourself. Although you can use the ibirls.js as a base I would not suggest that you change it as any future upgrade will obliterate your work and you will understand the very good reason for taking back-ups! Frowner

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
March 01, 2006, 11:02 AM
<JG>
What you are asking to be able to do is totally illogical.
You cannot make a selection from box 2 unless it has been populated by a selection from box 1.

Think about it.
September 29, 2007, 05:04 PM
<Michael Goshey>
JG: I don't find this request to be illogical at all- quite the contrary. It fairly commmon to offer "All" as the uppermost (and default) choice in web-based list controls. In such a situation, even chained controls would begin life fully populated. I beleive Anubha was seeking a way to start the filtering process from any arbitrary control in the parent-child chain. I'd use this myself if it were built-in. An interesting application might be a two list version (state and city). Bidirectional chaining would allow a user to select "Springfield" in the city list, thereby filtering the state list to display all states with a "Springfield." Further research might center around the name Simpson... Wink
September 30, 2007, 12:04 AM
susannah
Absolutely. I completely agree with Michael, which is why we don't use javascript arrays ("chaining").. we want users to be able to decide what they want to do without being forced to follow a dictate, especially when elements from GroupB could belong to more than 1 element in GroupA...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID