Focal Point
[SHARING] Visual Studio vs WebFOCUS

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/1977078006

March 24, 2011, 01:44 PM
JJ
[SHARING] Visual Studio vs WebFOCUS
If anybody has experience with both reporting tools I would like a comparison between the two?

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF
March 25, 2011, 07:50 AM
ERINP
JJ,
Can you be more specific as to what you are trying to compare? Are you trying to compare Crystal Reports to webFOCUS reports? I leverage webFOCUS reports via Visual Studio to provide drillable links to webFOCUS reports from our website and vise versa. My opinion is webFOCUS allows for a quicker turn around time for reports but sometimes the formatting of a webFOCUS report can become tedious at times. All in all I like the reporting power and functionality of the webFOCUS reports.
Thanks,
Erin

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files
March 25, 2011, 11:39 AM
JJ
ERINP,
Thank you for the reply. We have hundreds of WebFOCUS reports which need to be created in Visual Studio in the future. Also, we have huge databases. I am wondering if this can be done OR we may fall into performance issues.

Thanks again,

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF
March 28, 2011, 09:18 AM
ERINP
JJ,
Depending on the report you may be able to link directly to your webFOCUS reports via an .aspx page. I have one web page that leverages 12 different webFOCUS reports that our end users can click a link and run a report. Performance issues can be addressed in multiple ways. I work with an AS400 and Indexing seems to increase our performance for certain reports. Sometimes the AS400 handles the request/query and sometimes webFOCUS handles the request/query. I am not very familiar with all of the internals of webfocus but others on this blog site may be able to give you a better idea. Perhaps adding to your signature what database type you are using might help with performance questions in the future...
Thanks,
Erin

WebFOCUS 7.6.9

Reporting client Windows 2003 Service pack 2 using IIS and TomCat 5.5
Reporting Server OS/400 V5R4M0
Outputs: HTML, Excel, PDF, CSV, and Flat Files
March 28, 2011, 05:00 PM
JJ
ERINP,
Thank you for the information. I updated my profile.

WebFOCUS 8.2.05
Windows 2003
Excel, HTML, PDF