Focal Point
[Solved] Bursting a compound excel report

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/198107271

July 06, 2009, 03:02 PM
EWoerle
[Solved] Bursting a compound excel report
I am trying to burst and email a compound excel report using report caster but my output comes through blank. according to this documentation

http://techsupport.information...om/sps/30542542.html

I should be able to get it to at least work with html and pdf, but I am having problems with that as well. Has anyone gotten around this? here is a sample car fex that I've been using to trouble shoot.

-*SET COMPOUND = OPEN
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     'CAR.SPECS.MPG'
BY 'CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY'
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K OPEN
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     FONT='ARIAL',
     SIZE=9,
$
TYPE=TITLE,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
ENDSTYLE
END		
-*SET COMPOUND = CLOSE		   
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     'CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST'
BY 'CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY'
HEADING
""
FOOTING
""
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K CLOSE
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     FONT='ARIAL',
     SIZE=9,
$
TYPE=TITLE,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EWoerle,

Eric Woerle
WF 7.6.7 Reportting Server
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7
July 06, 2009, 03:20 PM
Francis Mariani
I don't have access to ReportCaster at the moment, but wouldn't you need ON column-name PAGE-BREAK to identify the column you want to burst on?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
July 06, 2009, 03:29 PM
EWoerle
no page breaking doesn't help any. I've never actually bursted a report using ON column-name PAGE-BREAK. From how I understood that bursting works is that it bursts off whatever your first by field is

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7
July 06, 2009, 03:35 PM
Darin Lee
My understanding is that you need to use the current syntax for creating the compound report in order to get bursting to work properly. Bursting a compound report was not available in previous (pre-7.6.x) versions, so it's somewhat understandable that the "old" syntax would not work for this feature.

Try creating this with the newer compound layout tool and see if it will burst properly.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
July 06, 2009, 04:02 PM
EWoerle
Darin,

I was able to get it to work in the newer compound layout tool in pdf (didn't try it in html). But I could not get it to reportcast it in excel. has anyone acheived that before? or am I pretty much out of luck if I want to do it using Excel?

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7
July 07, 2009, 11:47 AM
Gerry
Bursting of COORDINATED compound reports is supported with PDF, PPT and DHTML. Bursting using EXL2K is not supported.

WebFOCUS All Releases
July 07, 2009, 11:59 AM
EWoerle
Thanks everyone. I will relay this information to the business user and have them change their program.

Eric Woerle
ETL 7.6.10
Dev Studio 7.6.7
November 08, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joey Sandoval
Can you burst a coordinated compound excel report in 7.7.03?

Prod/Dev: WebFOCUS 8.0.08 on Windows Server 2008/Tomcat , WebFOCUS DevStudio 8.0.08 on Windows 7 Pro