Focal Point
Virtual Fields/Defines

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2061088331

August 02, 2005, 09:10 PM
db
Virtual Fields/Defines
Please help, I'm very new at WebFocus. I work with a master file that is several tables joined together. I want to create a virtual, defined or calculated field in the parent segment of the master file. One of the fields that I need is in one of the child segments. How do I get access to all the fields to create a new field?

Thanks,
August 02, 2005, 09:38 PM
Noreen Redden
You cannot create a temporary field on the root level that is based on fields on child segments. If you do a DEFINE that mentions information in a lower segment, then that temporary field will be assigned with the child segment. Can you give us a little bit more information about why you want to do this. There is probably a solution, but I'm not sure what it is until we have some more information
August 02, 2005, 09:53 PM
db
As I mentioned before I'm new at this, but I'll give it a try. I have a segment and several unique segments. field1, field2 and field3 are in the top segment. Field4 is in the last unique segment. I need all four fields to create a new virtual field. I want the new field to reside in the top segment because all the users have access to the top segment. I'm not sure how to go about it. I hope you can make sense of my babble.

Thanks! Confused