As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only. Moving forward, myibi is our community platform to learn, share, and collaborate. We have the same Focal Point forum categories in myibi, so you can continue to have all new conversations there. If you need access to myibi, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your corporate email address, company, and name.
We recently added a new field to a table (it's a Survey Monkey question) and each time we run any report with the table, we receive the IBFSException 6000: Too Many Messages error. Has anyone seen this error and figured out how to fix it?
We query the table in the SQL server for the same amount of time and parameters as a report we run, and the SQL Server pulls the data in less than a second.This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,
If Martin's suggestion doesn't work, there is a setting on the client administration console for Maximum messages that you can temporarily change the value to 0 which means unlimited and it will prevent the too many messages error.
Thank you for using Focal Point!
Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
Posts: 2128 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005
Our environment gives the same message if we use one to many joins on large tables. Since we have yet to find a really solid reason to use one to many joins, we've just made sure to use unique one to one joins and have not received that error since. We had also increased our setting on the client admin console for Max messages and still got the errors. Never set it to 0 however, since the message is generated for a reason.
Version: 8.2.03M, OS/Platform: Windows 7 & 10, Output: Excel, pdf, html
Posts: 63 | Location: Liberty Lake, WA - USA | Registered: June 23, 2016
Thank you everyone for your responses. The problem was caused by incompatible format usages verses actual format in the master table. I noticed another field had the exact same dropdown options from the same Survey Monkey survey, but the formats were different in the master table. I changed the problematic field from TX256 to A255V (Usage) - which matches the other similar field that works. This change removed the error and the field is now showing the correct data.
Just for future refernce, if you typed in your exact error text in techsupport you would have found: Report fails with error message "Too Many Messages"
Hi Toby, The "Too many messages" error may be caused by several things and may not be caused by a coding error. Just too many warning message or traces (-TYPE) may cause that especially when you have a loop and have &ECHO = ALL. It basically tell you that you have exceed the maximum number of message set at : Administration Console/Configuration/Client Settings/General/IBIF_max_messages.
So except if you know which log to look at (and it's normally not the case especially for someone new with FOCUS) you may search for ever. Using the debugging technic such as using SET &ECHO = ALL and limiting the number of data may help.
No offense, just to clarify.
WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF In Focus since 2007
Posts: 2410 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013