Focal Point
[SOLVED by IB] Independent Data source access in Visual Discovery

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2281040203

October 08, 2008, 04:50 PM
jodye
[SOLVED by IB] Independent Data source access in Visual Discovery
Hi All

If I run two visual discovery reports simultaneously that both access the same data source, then changes to the first report will also change the second report. So if the data is CAR, and I filter country = England in one, only England will show in the second report as well.

This is by design and is usually the desired behaviour.

However, I have a situation where I need the two reports to be independent of each other. As if there were two data sources car1.txt and car2.txt with the same data in them.

Does anyone know whether this is possible? Is there a way, with javascript maybe, to state that the data source for a report should be contained in its own memory space?

Thanks in advance.

Jodye

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 8.0.0.5M
October 08, 2008, 05:01 PM
Francis Mariani
I don't know Vis Dis, but could you create two masters pointing to the same data source, and then use a different one in each of the two reports?

Or is there a setting in Vis Dis that overrides the default behaviour?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
October 08, 2008, 05:16 PM
jodye
Hi Francis.

Thanks for answering. There are no master files in visual discovery. Just data sources. I can create as many as I like.. car1.txt car2.txt car3.txt etc etc.

My problem is that I need them on the fly. One user will need to run X reports against the same data source at the same time. So he will have X windows open and each one must be completely unique.

You made me think that I can create 10 copies of all my files and then use javascript each time the user opens a new report so the name of the data source is carX.txt with X plugged in. That would work... but would be a bad solution. I would have extra copies of data potentially for nothing, and there would be a limit of ten. what if eleven are wanted.

hmmm...

Thanks

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M
October 15, 2008, 12:27 PM
Claire
Hi Jodye,

The information available at the following location might be of help to you:

http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/22202122.html

Regards,
Claire