Focal Point
don't want to see empty values

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2371087331

June 30, 2004, 12:26 PM
<ort>
don't want to see empty values
Hi Hi !!

I want to print some numeric values from some table like:

print
phone_num
zip_code

but the output looks like this:
phone_num zip_code
5533221. 12345.

In order to cut the dot in the end of the output numbers I do:

print
phone_num/i7
zip_code/i5

But this coases the following problem:
If the table contains a record with empty values in those fields, I whant it to be empty in the output, instead I get "0" - zero
June 30, 2004, 01:13 PM
<Vipul>
use the following
SET NODATA=''

Vipul
June 30, 2004, 10:42 PM
<Mark Smith>
We found a problem where the NO DATA parameter was being ignored by our ETL server (version 525). We get "." when a null is read from a database or blanks are read from flat files. One of the responses on our case was that in some instances (when writing to an existing target) ETL uses FORMAT INTERNAL. This causes the "." to be written. If you use a new target ETL uses FORMAT ALPHA and does not put the "." in place. Because all of our targets can not be new targets we found that we could check for the existence of a "." in the target transform (using ETL Manager) and write out a blank (i.e. transform expression IF somecolumn EQ '.' THEN ' ' ELSE somecolumn). This is more work, but it is currently working well for us.
July 02, 2004, 11:22 PM
reFOCUSing
Have you tried using zero suppression?
If you don't know what that is here is an example:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
SEATS
COMPUTE TEST/I2S = SEATS � 2;
END

The �S� and the end of the I2S is what does the suppression.
July 03, 2004, 03:52 PM
susannah
ort,
if you just want the output report to not display the 0, then PRINT PHONE_NUM/I7S works very nicely. but remember its only a display mask, and doesn't change the actual field content.
but imho, phone numbers and zip codes should be alphabetic. so i would suggest redefining them to alpha fields, in your master file; But anyway, the NODATA thing only works on missing values. which is not the case here. unless you redefine
MYZIP/I5 MISSING ON=IF ZIP_CODE EQ 0 THEN MISSING ELSE ZIP_CODE;
July 05, 2004, 12:31 PM
<ort>
Thank you all !!!
I just used S (like PHONE/I7S) and it worked !!

so simple...
I knew you would help me :-)
July 20, 2004, 11:05 AM
<ort>
and what about DATE format fields ?

In this case, if the DB contains empty values in a date field, I also tried adding 'S' in the end like this:

PRINT
EXAM_DATE/I6MDYS

But I get in the output a strange date, like 00/03/62 - for a nonempty value.