Focal Point
Greater than sign

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2411018331

November 09, 2004, 02:13 PM
Stan
Greater than sign
Hi,

I'm reading some text in using a -READ and the text is something like '>>:#7'

I then type out the code that was read and what it shows is:
>>:#7

I'm quite sure this has to do with the greater than sign being a reserved html character, but I need it to read the greater than signs directly as I'm building a WHERE field1 CONTAINS '>' statement for later in the fex.

Does anyone know how I can read these more directly?

Thanks,
November 09, 2004, 02:18 PM
reFOCUSing
Would reading the data from a hold file work for you?

Check this out.
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/
5171087331/r/5171087331

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,
November 09, 2004, 02:30 PM
Stan
Even my post here had trouble for the same basic reason...

The typed out code above should read:
ampersign gt; ampersign gt; :#7

(When I typed the actual ampersign it even reverted on this post!)...sorry for the confusion.

Stan
November 09, 2004, 04:11 PM
<Pietro De Santis>
I'm even more confused!

The variable you want to use in the WHERE statement should contain what exactly? Should it be 'greater-than greater-than:#7'?

It is possible that you're getting confused by what you see in the ECHO or TYPE, the html page is translating the symbols but the WHERE statement most likely should work.

If there are embedded ampersands in the variable, that's another story.
November 09, 2004, 06:10 PM
Stan
As it turns out I'm my own victim...I found what it was doing and resolved it. This program pulls in a flat file and if it contains some user entered data, then we remove that row. In this specific scenario, the user entered greater-than greater than :#7 and it was changing the symbol into the ampersand value, but as it turns out, it is doing the same on the flat file so it works just fine....My bad and my utmost apologies.

Stan
November 09, 2004, 06:20 PM
<Pietro De Santis>
Stan, I'm glad it worked out. Pietro.