Focal Point
Join help

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2421037371

June 26, 2006, 05:40 PM
.eric
Join help
I'm trying to build a report that tracks items sold to certain locations.

The items would be stored in a hold file...say 10 items, and then would be joined to another file which is grouped by location then item then a total (dollar amount).

What I need the report to show is all 10 items on the final report regardless of whether or not the item has a dollar amount attached. The problem I'm having is that the file that contains the sell infomration would not have a key for that item to join to because it does not have a previous sale. So the final report only shows the items with sales information.

Is there a way to do this?

I already tried using the hold file (with items) as the main table and joining to the sales info file but every field outside of the item number comes up as missing data.

Any help would be great, thanks.

dev: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

prod: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat
June 26, 2006, 05:52 PM
Prarie
Have you tried using Match instead of a Join?

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
Yeah I tried using OLD as the match delimieter and got the same results.

Eric,

Try

SET ALL = ON
JOIN itemnum IN ITEM to ALL itemnum IN SALES as J1
TABLE FILE ITEM
END

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX
I agree with Kevin, Eric, you want the 'short path' items as well, so set all = on should work. Match would work also, but I've found in order to have meaningful information in a match when there are missing values in one file use more 'By' values. Also, you need to use the base file with all you want to report as the first.

Leah
I got it working, thanks guys.