Focal Point
Report caster Print & E-mail in single run

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2461013732

July 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
dreddy_23
Report caster Print & E-mail in single run
Hi,

I am trying to find if theree is a way that I can set up the report caster to send the report to a printer as well as e-mail the same report in single run?

Thanks,
DR.

Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05 on Win 10
Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05 on Win 10
July 16, 2007, 04:56 PM
Prarie
Unless someone has a good trick...that cannot be done.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
That is correct. The RC tool can only have a single output type and a single distribution method. You could, however, FTP the output to a location and then use a post-execution procedure which would either execute system commands or execute a batch file which would print and email the file from the system level. Lots of intricacies to that one, I suppose, the least of which would be what type of output format would you use that would satisfy both methods? HTML can email(attachments), not print. PDF can email(attachment), not print - at least not without an Adobe reader. PS can print, but requires a PS reader if sent as an attachment - not very good for email.
Your best bet is to run two separate jobs with the same parameters.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
Thanks for the reply Prarie and Darin.

DR.

Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05 on Win 10
Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05 on Win 10
As was said, your best choice is probably two separate runs. And if you do that, one idea, especially if the processing is lengthy, is to produce a hold file from the first run. You can create a report and a hold file with one run:

APP HOLD TEST
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY CAR MODEL
END
HOLD FORMAT FOCUS AS TEMP1

Then the second RC job would just do a simple report with formatting from the TEMP1 file. This also assures that both reports have the exact same data.