Focal Point
[CASE-OPENED]Bursting to report library just hangs

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2527064086

January 25, 2016, 06:37 PM
rgp09
[CASE-OPENED]Bursting to report library just hangs
Hello. I'm trying to currently burst to the report library, a pretty simple excel report (not a compound). I'm able to run a regular, non-burst schedule and get output to the destination folder without issue.

But if attempt to burst the same report to this folder, the reporting server portion of the log always shows about a 30 second completion, followed by the report library distribution beginning:

Executing focexec.
Connection to the Reporting Server EDASERVE closed at 2016-01-25 16:24:29.713-0700 (1,453,764,269,713)
Job ran on the Reporting Server EDASERVE for 28.415 seconds
Task finished.

Starting distribution: Report Library
Distribution method: Report Library

---
After the 2 report library lines, nothing happens, and the jobs just show running the reportcaster administration. And they will show for running for 12+hours before they just die with no trace in the log, taking up our queue.

I've bursted files before to the report library without issue, but i'm running into several reports that are having this issue now. I've tried excel 2007, excel 2000 formats. Do I need to do a trace and open a ticket, or has anyone run into similiar issues by chance bursting to the report library?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Webfocus 8.0 Apache
Apache Tomcat
January 26, 2016, 08:30 AM
BabakNYC
I haven't seen this but wonder if you have the same behavior if you burst using a different format like PDF or HTML. I'd open a case with support.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
January 26, 2016, 02:24 PM
rgp09
Thanks BabakNYC. I'm going to open a ticket on this item. It seems like any new report i create won't burst to the report library, but old schedules are running and bursting ok.

Part of the challenge I'm facing is that i only have a few queue spots in reportcaster that are allowed to run, and once a few attempts start running and never finish, any additional attempts just sit in queue because i can't kill the stuck ones. I then need admin assistance. Sort of a 3 strikes and i'm out scenario.

Webfocus 8.0 Apache
Apache Tomcat
February 11, 2016, 01:27 PM
rgp09
So in case anyone searches and gets this topic. I haven't solved issue yet, but providing traces to IBI. Starting to look like this is related to bursting on a varchar field, which is not supported. I've tried some of the workarounds on this forum that i've had access to do, such as storing the varchar data in a defined char field instead for the burst value. No luck so far, but i will update the post once I have more.

Webfocus 8.0 Apache
Apache Tomcat
February 22, 2016, 10:39 AM
rgp09
Well, i can't seem to get a traces file uploaded to support, but our workaround was finally to make sure that
1. Burst value is not var char.
2. regular char burst value needs to be substr to a small length so it is small enough to be used as a filename.

Webfocus 8.0 Apache
Apache Tomcat