Focal Point
[SHARING] Does a Graph like this exist?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2627048695

January 12, 2011, 12:04 PM
Cody
[SHARING] Does a Graph like this exist?
Hi Everyone, I am being asked to create an graph/image in WF that looks like the below. It was created in Visio and Adobe(adobe what I have no idea). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Linux
HTML,AHTML,PDF
January 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
T.Peters
quote:
Originally posted by Cody:
Hi Everyone, I am being asked to create an graph/image in WF that looks like the below. It was created in Visio and Adobe(adobe what I have no idea). Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody

Yeah, anytime you create a broken link, that image will pop right up. :-D

WebFOCUS: 7702
O/S : Windows
Data Migrator: 7702
January 12, 2011, 04:25 PM
Waz
Check out www.threedgraphics.com.

This is the graph engine that IBI uses.

If its not in there, then you are going to have a fun time building it.

Although, the example you posted could be done in HTML.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

January 12, 2011, 06:33 PM
<JG>
I must admit that I have tried very hard to resist responding to this, But.

Visio/Adobe??.

Do you by any chance have consultants in from one of the large organizations who are all theory and little practice
in the real world.

Using graphic design tools to generate a reporting solution especially for a graphic display
is a very common tactic that they use to sell their solution.
It almost always leads to nothing but pain for those of us who must implement it.

It almost never bears any relationship to any product that the company has (or is planning to buy) and is never a simple solution.

Several possible scenarios come to mind in this case.

1. Go to your management and suggest that they get real and stop basing requirements that nothing
other than a totally custom solution could deliver.

2. Buckle under and suggest that it is a situation where WebFOCUS can deliver the presentation mechanism
but the actual delivery must be html/javascript/jsp/asp (or any other client/server delivery mechanism you have, php etc.)

3. Present an alternative to the business users that might meet their requirements.

4. Most interesting AND the thing that can actually make management say "OK that's actually not real"
say to them you generate the graphic AS AN AUTOMATED PROCESS in gif or jpg format and
we will pick it up and insert it into the report.

The last one is the killer as we call it. They are asking you to deliver as an automated solution
what they can not.
January 13, 2011, 09:55 AM
Cody
Thanks JG. All your comments are far off from what I said to them when I first saw the requirement. I told them that it was not possible as far as I knew but I would double check to make sure.

WebFOCUS 7.6.8
Linux
HTML,AHTML,PDF
January 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
GaryB
It may be possible to do this in HTML by creating the tag in a WF field. The various lines can put in a HTMTABLE HOLD file and displayed in HTMLFORM. This is not for the faint of heart. It was very time consuming, and difficult to get right.

I had to do this for some complex Gantt charts that the users would not accept anything else.

G
January 17, 2011, 10:09 AM
GaryB
Ha ha, HTML strikes again. The message should say
 "<SPAN> tag" 

January 17, 2011, 10:26 AM
dhagen
I believe that graph can be done. It may not be exact, but you can make it very close. When I'm presented with an unusual graph, I try to break it down to simple components, then visualize the data I need to build it. The rest is just making sure your data extract resembles the final required result. In your example, it could be a horizontal bar graph with multiple disconnected lines. Or, it could be a simple line graph with 3 series of lines, and only one series is fully connected.

Either way, with a little bit of effort it can be done.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott