Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Questions on Business Views (Dev Studio, 7.7.03)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Questions on Business Views (Dev Studio, 7.7.03)
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I am building a BV that will emcompass several UDB-hosted tables for which synonyms already exist. This will replace a join structure that appears in multiple reports. (yes, I read Working w/ BV in rel 7.7.01+)

Here's a few questions that arose on this maiden voyage.

1. Editing mechanics question -- setting PARENT.

As I added segments, the tool assumed each was a child of the last segment. The Properties box did not help much -- the PARENT attribute there is read-only. Did I miss something? (I finally resorted to editing it in text view.)

2. Editing mechanics question -- adding a FOLDER.

I want to have an explicit list of fields available in the view -- if only to reorder the columns and eliminate the duplicates introduced by the joins.

I could not find any means to do that, short of manually in the text view. Am I missing something?

3. What is the utility of folders?
What purpose would be served by introducing multiple folders? (Perhaps to isolate fields from the right side of a left outer join?)
If you have multiple folders , how do you express (syntactically) the relationship, and how do you induce the appropriate relationship via the graphic tools and wizards?

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No takers?

The nice thing about setting up the Business View with segment references followed by explicit list of fields in the FOLDER section is that the segments (essentially specifying the underlying JOIN structure) can be replaced, for tuning purposes, with a differenrt structure that covers all the referenced fields, w/o touching the FIELD list.

That provides degrees of freedom for tuning the report. You can rearrange the data, w/o any effect on the report's output.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post