Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Maintian application

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Maintian application
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

We are developing a web based reporting application using WebFocus. We have decided to use WebFocus for the reporting purpose and J2EE for UI and some of the update functionalities from the front-end. We came to know that, UI can be designed with WebFocus tool itself. So we are in a dilemma to choose the way. WebFocus or J2EE. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons to go over the webfocus instead of Java for frond-end development?

We are also planning to use "WebFocus Maintain" for the update functionalities. But the tutorials and docs I saw specifies just standalone application (VB forms type of appln). We need a web application. Can anyone please throw some light on whether Maintain can be used to develop web based update application. Also please provide me the pros and cons of using Maintain. Atleast link about this would suffice.

Thanks in Advance,
Geeya.

Regards,
Geeya.

Master
posted Hide Post
Hello Geeya
I am always happy to answer any questions about Maintain.

First off, ALL Maintain applications are Web Applications. Most are developed locally, and then deployed to the server. Once deployed to the server, anyone with access can run them. I am not sure if any of the tutorials cover the deployment step, but you can read about it in the online help: Developing Reporting Applications with Graphical Tools - Partitioning and Deploying Project Files.

As for the pros and cons, Maintain offers:

* English-like syntax and language wizards used to create robust commands for database retrieval and update.
* Simple and short code. Java requires many more lines of code, as compared with maintain, for doing a specific task like interfacing with databases.
* The Maintain language and development environment can be learned in a short amount of time.
* Graphical User Interface for designing and deploying multi-form applications.
* Pixel perfect positioning of objects on your forms including, List Boxes, Combo Boxes, HTMLTables, Buttons and Radio Groups
* Seamlessly integrate JavaScript, VB Script and HTML code into your forms.
* Easily retrieve, display and manipulate large sets of data from up to 15 separate databases.
* Databases can be on different servers across your enterprise.
* Databases can be dissimilar. With the IWAY adapters, your application can switch to any database engine.
* Modular code allows for Team Development, Cross Enterprise deployment and reusable procedures.
* Integrate existing Table and Graph procedures for both database retrieval and display.
* Closed-Loop Business Intelligence
* Excel Write-Back feature

As for the cons: Even though it is easy to learn, there is a learning curve to using the Maintain language and the development environment. I always recommend taking a class. Maintain does consume some resources. The more complex the form the more resources necessary. If you try to display thousands of records on a form, you will notice delays. All of these things can be avoided with good form design.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks
Mark Derwin

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Geeya,

To add a developers perspective to Mark's comments...

Pros

1. Maintain offers a shorter development time than JAVA, requiring fewer personnel and less "job specialization". It integrates UI/GUI design, business logic coding, and Reporting onto one platform.

I developed my first application as a 12 FORM MAINTAIN application complete with reporting (~30 reports) in a 6 - 8 weeks. Subsequent applications had a 2 - 3 week development time.

2. Maintain is not only an excellent data update/insertion tool, but a solid reporting "Front End". What I mean here is that WebFOCUS reports are easily launched from a Maintain web FORM.

3. Maintain data stacks are eaily loaded with output from a WebFOCUS report. For large datasets that you plan to bring in for update, this can dramatically reduce or eliminate the delays that Mark referred to by allowing only selected columns and rows to be brought into Maintain for processing. This also allows SQL passthough queries in a focexec to load data into Maintain for updates or review.

4. The resources required to "integrate" WebFOCUS reports with the UI is all but eliminated.

5. See Mark's remarks regarding HTML, Scripting, etc...The ability to integrate common Web controls and Form widgets is fantastic.

CONS

1. The learning curve...although small, there is a learning curve and there are precious few experts on MAINTAIN development. (I found the local IBI office and Mark to be invaluable resources in the development cycle.)

2. Can't think of number 2...

Hope this helps,

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX

Posts: 141 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 09, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark's comment. I personnally developed 4 Maintain applications and 3 of them are web based. I envolved in a very large Java development in Fujitsu for 2 years and I am a certified Java developer.

Since you are going use Webfocus for reporting, then use Maintain sounds a better option. It will save you a lot of development time. Our web based Maintain applications are using as front end to the users, and they select different reporting options, parameters and date ranges etc, and all of their selections can be saved in the database for the next run.

Java has beautiful syntax, and capable to do lots of work, but it will take you much more time to develop same GUI in Java than Maintain.

Posts: 118 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: June 12, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, Kevin and Lusheng.

These pros and cons are more than enough to convince my managers to go with Maintain.

Thanks once again guys for ur invaluable support.

Regards,
Geeya.