Focal Point
[CLOSED]How to upload an excel (xlsx) file and use it as data

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2847067386

September 07, 2016, 11:44 AM
AJEN7118
[CLOSED]How to upload an excel (xlsx) file and use it as data
Hi,

I wonder if you ever upload an excel file to management console to use it as data. After I uploaded my excel file, it cant convert to synonym, so it cant allow me to use it as master file. What is a correct procedure to do it? thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
September 07, 2016, 11:58 AM
RSquared
I am not sure about Version 8 but in Version 7.6.11 the file has to be .xls.

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit
September 07, 2016, 12:02 PM
AJEN7118
Thanks. My version is 8105.

Please help. thank you

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
September 07, 2016, 12:03 PM
BabakNYC
In your list of Adapters do you have Excel (via direct retrieval) or via ODBC?

When you upload, the user interface should walk you through the upload as well as the creation of metadata so you can then create reports off of the excel file.

Do you get any errors when you upload?

Try right click on an app folder, New -> Upload File, select the excel file and pick the name you want, then you get the dialogue for metadata.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows
September 07, 2016, 12:28 PM
AJEN7118
yes I saw Excel (via direct retrieval) in my adapter. Do I have to create a Synonym from there first?

I didn't get any error after uploading. But I can only view it as excel format instead of view it as sample data.

thanks.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
September 07, 2016, 01:16 PM
BabakNYC
So, when you upload you don't get a dialogue to create the metadata for the excel file? In my upload, I get walked through the whole metadata creation process and once I'm done, I can select the master from a list. Are you logged in as admin and if not, does your user id have any restrictions that might limit your ability to do this?

September 07, 2016, 01:29 PM
AJEN7118
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I was able to create the metadata by using admin ID. unfortunately, the user id doesn't have right to do it but only upload the file. Do you know which rule the user should be given in order to do that?

one more question, every time when you do upload data like excel file, does the web console pops up and you need to set up from there?

thanks.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
September 07, 2016, 03:12 PM
BabakNYC
You'll have to ask your admin to give you Create Metadata privileges.

For more information look up Effective Policy in Administering WebFOCUS doc.

When you upload data, essentially, you'll have to create the metadata for it on the fly. So, yes, you'll get the console and it'll walk you through the process.