Focal Point
[CLOSED] What dashboard is my user viewing?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2847074716

March 05, 2012, 05:46 PM
gweller
[CLOSED] What dashboard is my user viewing?
Is there anyway to determine which dashboard my user is accessing a particular report from?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8201M/Windows Platform
March 06, 2012, 06:00 AM
WF_IL
Hi

If your user customized his dashboard environment, you can see exactly his dashboards when you log into the "business intelligence view builder", choose users management , check the relevant user and then choose to edit the contents.

Yours

Eran

Yours,
Eran
SRL Products

http://www.srl.co.il

March 06, 2012, 09:36 AM
Kevin Patterson
A simple solution would be to add a footer in the report in each dashboard. Example: "Run from dashboard XYZ on date"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevin Patterson,

Kevin Patterson
Appalachian State University
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows, All Outputs
March 06, 2012, 11:36 AM
gweller
Perhaps a bit more background would be useful.

I have an HTML form that I present to my user. If the user accesses the report from one portal I want to conditionally remove some of the user's options vs them accessing it from another portal.

The report is complex and I would rather not have to maintain two versions.

I simply would like to be able to determine programatically the portal the user has accessed.

I am looking into adding cookies, but I dont really like the thought of having to maintain a cookie.

THoughts?

March 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
j.gross
Pass it as a parameter.
March 07, 2012, 09:07 AM
Kevin Patterson
yes, as j.gross mentioned, add a parameter (callingPortalName) to your report and have the portals id themselves through that parameter.

Kevin Patterson
Appalachian State University
WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows, All Outputs
April 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
gweller
Just a follow up to this.

I implemented the passing of a paramater via cookies to my HTML page based on the launch page from where the user accessed the portal.

I didnt really like this method as I was concerned about users browsers etc.

I then decided to take a poke around the portal using my old friend Mr Firebug. I noticed that when WebFOCUS displays the portal in the frame based page, that the frame with the report in it is addressed with a number of parameters including one called WORP_MPV which is the internal id of the portal.

Using this parameter and a little bit of javascript within my launch page I can now either restrict data access based on the portal accessing my report, or I can limit the launch page paramaters themselves.