Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [HOT-FIX AVAILABLE] WF 8.0.08 Report Caster: Task error: UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[HOT-FIX AVAILABLE] WF 8.0.08 Report Caster: Task error: UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I got this error and spent three hours trying to figure out what was wrong. The program worked just fine when run from Dev Studio, but failed in RC.

I finally figured out that the last character in fex file was a binary 00. How it got there is a mystery, but I suspect that it was put there by the Dev Studio text editor. I normally edit files with my favourite external text editor, but I think I made a change using the internal text editor, which introduced this character.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you dup this using the car file?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Any FOC errors in the source code when you run the report from Dev Studio? I have seen warnings cause RC to not run a report.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Expert
posted Hide Post
No FOC errors at all, the Excel report gets created. The RC log does not provide a normal FOC error number, just "Task error: UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND".

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dev Studio 8.0.08 - when opening a fex in an external text editor, a 00 hex character is added to the end of the file. If you save the file, the hex character is saved along with file. This causes Report Caster to fail. This occurs with fexes located on the reporting server or in the repository. I've tested with EditPlus, UltraEdit and Notepad.

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I am having the same issue. How did you get rid of the 00? I am currently working on webFocus 8009

WebFOCUS 8105m
as well as 7.6.11
Windows 10

Expert
posted Hide Post
My case is still open - there is no way to get rid of the 00. My work around is to make sure the last line of the fex is
(with no new-line). When the 00 gets appended it will be on a comment line and will be ignored by Report Caster.

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
That doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

WebFOCUS 8105m
as well as 7.6.11
Windows 10

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I found my issue. It was a ';' on a line by itself. When running in dev studio it ignored the error and continue to complete the report, but went run in RC it completed running the report but just would not distribute it. This then placed the error at the end of the report, making it look it that was where the issue was when it actually happened at the beginning.

WebFOCUS 8105m
as well as 7.6.11
Windows 10

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have a habit of putting -RUN statements after every TABLE or DEFINE END statement. I put a -RUN after FILEDEF and JOIN statements. If there is an error, the error will be displayed at the -RUN statement, not at the end.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is to inform you that a Dev Studio 8.0.08 Hot Fix is available (DS-90_DS8008HF.zip) which solves the "00 hex byte at end of file" bug. Hallelujah.

Francis