Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED by case] Excel file corrupted after ftp

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED by case] Excel file corrupted after ftp
 Login/Join

<Kev>
posted
Hi,

I'm trying to ftp generated Excel files to the server that runs NetApp version 7.2.5. For some reason, as soon as I open the file, Excel crashes. Just for comparison, I tried to ftp it to Windows-based server, and that worked fine. Has anyone encountered this before? - I'm thinking I should use `dos2unix' command somewhere, but I'm not sure of the syntax.
Please let me know if I'm missing anything obvious, and if I'm headed in right direction.

Thanks in advance!
------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I think that you're headed in the right direction... Have you considered FTPing it as a binary file? That's my first guess...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I agree with Doug. The file generated should be kept in it original condition. If you send the file to Unix as text, then CR-LF will be changes to LF.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
<Kev>
posted
Hi Doug and Waz,
I've tried that - sending it in binary file, but no success.
How do I apply `dos2unix' to a file?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kev>,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There's just too many variables involved for an answer of that nature here on the WebFOCUS Forum. So, the "dos2unix" thing would be a question for your admin. I'd be surprised if your were the first one there to come across this FTP issue. And, if that's true, then someone on site has an answer for you. Perhaps sending it in "binary" is part of the solution. Inquiring minds would like to know the final resolution to this issue...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Something we do here all the time is to Zip the file first, more for size reasons, then send the file.

Perhaps this could help you.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
<Kev>
posted
Is there any specific information that I can provide to help narrow down the problem?

Thanks!
--------------------------------------

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Just tell them what you've already stated in this thread...

I agree with WAZ: Zip It First

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Expert
posted Hide Post
In the words of Devo....

quote:
When a problem comes along..
You Must Zip It!

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
I feel the rhythm... Do we get up and dance now? I'll answer that: No...

<Kev>
posted
I tried to gzip it up, but at no avail.
I've been looking at `diff' between the two files (one from windows server - which is working, and the other from Net App - not working), but didn't see anything unusual. Can you point out if there's anything specific to look for that might help me get more info?
I should also point out that I've not had any issues in ftping PDFs over.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Apart from FTP, how are you getting the Excel file from the server ?

I seem to remember having a similar experience, PCHOLD worked, but holding did not, possibly with compound reports, but I cannot remember or repro.

From memory it added extra chars to the boundaries in the document, could have been nulls.

Sorry for the vageness, the grey matter is getting gray.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
Remember also that the file you create from WebFOCUS is not an Excel binary file so I would also suggest that you process it and save it as a "pukka" Excel file before zipping and FTPing.

I create an instream VBS file that opens the stored file and saves it to the same filename and location as "xlNormal" through the Excel application. The advantage of this is that the file generally shirnks by 60% or more.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
<Kev>
posted
@Waz:
Apart from FTP, I'm outputting it in the browser - which works as well.
@Tony:
You're right, WebFOCUS generates ASCII output, that's why I was comparing content of the working with non-working (i.e. crashing) version.
Also, I didn't quite follow your second statement, can you elaborate please?

Thanks!
----------------------------------------------

Report This Post
<Kev>
posted
This might sound novice, but I'm thinking I'll just out the files to the WebFOCUS server, and then have a job pull over the files.
So I want to know how feasible is this (one run outputs close to 300 files)? Also, how do I out the files to server?

Thanks!

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

FYI, Kev has a case opened on this issue, and here is the solution from the case: The problem was with ftp process not recognizing the ftp UNIX server, and therefore not doing the required conversion of CR character to NL character when transmitting. It was forced to be changed to do that (using sed on the Webfocus server) before ftp-ing and it transmits it just like that. The issue is not being with WebFOCUS process.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post