Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Maintain : Press Spacebar or enter to activate this control

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Maintain : Press Spacebar or enter to activate this control
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi (....Mark)

Using the gridcontrol , since a while this tooltip appears saying "Press Spacebar or enter to activate this control" and like it states i actually have to press enter to active the grid

needless to say : hugely annoying

I did some digging and found out that it is related to a microsoft security update ...

this you encounter this before??? and how can i get rid of it?

P.

D: WF 7.6.2 P. : WF 7.6.2 on W2003
------------------------------------------------------------------
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

-Jim Morrison-

Posts: 206 | Registered: February 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Pete,

The following is the reason :

quote:
(April 11) Microsoft released an Internet Explorer update in response to the patent battle between Microsoft and Eolas. After installing the update, Internet Explorer (not other browsers, fortunately) users will be required to “activate” embedded objects and plug-ins before they can interact with them. Here’s what sucks, most users will receive this update automatically via Windows Update. Embedded objects and controls affected are:

Adobe Reader
Apple QuickTime Player
Macromedia Flash
Microsoft Windows Media Player
Real Networks RealPlayer
Sun Java Virtual Machine

In order to activate these objects, users are required to press the space bar, enter key, or use the mouse to click on the item. Anyone that’s tested the Internet Explorer 7 beta will have noticed similar behavior within that browser. According to w3schools browser statistics, over 60% of web users browse using Internet Explorer, meaning within the next few days approximately 60% of visitors to Flash websites, or sites using embedded media will be required to activate the media before being able to use it; because of this, some users may assume that the website is broken.

and there was a temporary solution - MSDN patch - but this was due to be unavailable (overwritten?) by subsequent windows updates.

Good old Microshaft - deciding what's best for us again!! Mad

The good news is that there are ways for developers to ensure that their activex controls are loaded in an active state, thus bypassing the need for the User to press anything. This would obviously require IB to perform this in their UI code.

T

btw, another solution - use FireFox instead of IE. Will not help on your maintain interface of course Frowner

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Pete
There are two ways to go about fixing this. The first is to remove the update. I believe the number is K912945, but it depends on your platform and ie version. Check with the Microsoft site.

The second is, open a case with the helpdesk. I know we have a programmatic solution as well.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi T.,

yeah i came across all of the above , but since IE is the standard we use , i guess i'm rather stuck

Grrrrrrr Frowner
P.

I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

-Jim Morrison-

Expert
posted Hide Post
Mark,

There is a later fix as well from MS (KB916281) that re-applies the behaviour, so uninstalling KB912945 might not give a complete solution. Frowner

I would also think that it was a secure bet that MS will re-apply down the line again as and when "work arounds" become known. Mad As most companies will have a policy on windows updates, then the chances are that these subsequent "fixes" will be applied globally within a company are high.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Mark,

can you tell me a bit more about the programmatic solution on this?

P.

P.S. : And i also will open a case as you suggested

-Jim Morrison-

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yup Tony,

Infrastructure subsequently applies these fixes globally , so i don't have any control on it whatsoever Frowner

-Jim Morrison-

Master
posted Hide Post
The original Microsoft patch caused the grid to fail. We fixed that. I believe we have a patch (depending on your release and platform) that stops the message from occuring.

This fix has been encorportated into the latest releases. You should be able to either upgrade or get a fix to stop the messaage from occuring.

Mark

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Well my guess is that my case is heading your way , mark *smile*

-Jim Morrison-

Master
posted Hide Post
Pete
If you don't have it yet, a patch is coming your way. Using recommendations found on the Microsoft site, programming was able to make a small change to the way we display the grid, thus eliminating the informational message.

Mark

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Mark,

The patch works !!!

Peter

-Jim Morrison-

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark, Pete,

Can you please tell me what was done to get rid of the information coming up?
The changes highlighted in the form of a snippet would be wonderful.
I need this pretty urgently.

Thanks, Ved

Master
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Ved
By programming fix, I meant a fix from our programmers. To be honest I am not 100% sure what they changed, but it was incorporated into the latest releases. If you cannot upgrade, please open a case with Customer Support and we acn get you a patch.

Thanks
Mark Derwin

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark,

We are currently using 7.1.6 release.
I need to check and probably open a case with the Customer Support to get a patch for this.

Thanks once again for the prompt suggestion.

Master
posted Hide Post
Ved
One thing. This fix was for Maintain only. They changed the way the grid was implemented. I do not think that the Maintain fix is going to help with other WebFOCUS components.

Mark