Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] I11 field shows data for 9 digit fields but not for 11 digit fields

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] I11 field shows data for 9 digit fields but not for 11 digit fields
 Login/Join

posted
(This is using WF 8001m on Windows 7, if that matters.)

I'm working on creating a report based on a SQL Server view. One of the fields on the view (RequestID) is type INT. On the master file for the view, the usage type is given as 'Integer' and the usage format is 'I11'.

The earliest data on the view is from January 2009, and the RequestID field was only 9 digits long. In early March 2009, the RequestID changed to 11 digits long. To be more specific, on March 3 2009, there are 9,376 rows on the view and all have a 9 digit value for the RequestID. On March 4 2009, there are 8,741 rows. Of those, 8,724 have an 11 digit RequestID and 17 have a 9 digit RequestID.

If I create a simple report through developer studio (only returning the table primary key as well as the RequestID, filtered on a specific date) for 3/3/2009, I see the RequestID for each row. If I run the same report for 3/4/2009, I only see the 17 9-digit RequestIDs. In the other rows, the RequestID field is empty.

I should mention that I have verified that the source data (the view, in this case) has the correct data.

Any thoughts on why the value only appears when it is 9 characters long if the format is I11?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bsullivan,

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.2
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 27 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: January 21, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There is an issue with I11. It is a bit missleading.

The documenations states:

quote:
Is the number of digits to display including a maximum of 10 digits and a leading
minus sign if the field contains a negative value. The maximum integer value is

So the 11th digit is only for the sign of the number.

What is the data source and what is the format of the column

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There is a max value for integers... Something like 2,147,483,647 I believe...
Have you considered using D12, or D11, instead?

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
What is the data source and what is the format of the column

The data source is a SQL Server view and the format of the column is INT.

I did step back through the creation of the view, though, and saw that the source data is of type BIGINT. I'm not sure if that would help in how to get this working correctly, though, as my experience with WebFOCUS metadata is very limited.

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.2
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 27 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: January 21, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
There is a max value for integers... Something like 2,147,483,647 I believe...
Have you considered using D12, or D11, instead?

If the source data (the view, in this case) has the field as type INT, is that something I could still change in the metadata, so the usage format went from I11 to D11? Or would that need to be addressed in SQL Server first?

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.2
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
I think Metadata Usage should work. Just remember that if you refresh the metadata you'll have to make this change again.

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
As this is a BIGINT, I would suggest recreating the master file.

I think BIGINT should be assigned to P20 Usage and P10 Actual.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm closing this issue.

After doing more research, it looks like the issue was related to the database. Originally, the RequestID field was an INT and it was later changed to a BIGINT. However, the view was never recreated, so it was still treating the field as an INT type. When the view was dropped & recreated, the data type was refreshed to BIGINT and that should take care of any issues.

Thanks to all for the help.

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.2
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
It's not a flattering term (acronym), but GIGO. Or, You get what's there and if it's not correctly identified "there" then it can't show up "here" correctly...

I am glad that you resolved this issue... Smiler

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post