Focal Point
Moving reports to a different database

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3651058331

April 29, 2005, 01:05 PM
<niuniu>
Moving reports to a different database
Good morning everyone,

I have some reports created in DB2, now I am going to use these reports in SQL Server, what are the better ways to make the reports running in SQL server database? Do I need to reset path, create sql server adapter , create synonymy. I don't think I have to recreate the reports.

Thanks a lot.

Niuniu
April 29, 2005, 01:16 PM
<JG>
First make sure that you have a license for the MSSQL adapter.

If that's OK

Backup your DB2 metadata
configure the MSSQL adapter
Regenerate the required metedata

Your reports should run without any changes UNLESS your table definitions are different or you use DB2 Specific SQL passthrough.
April 29, 2005, 01:47 PM
<niuniu>
Thank you very much for the quick response.

Why do I need to back up DB2 metadata? I can't just configure MSSQL adapter and create new set of required metadata into a different folder? if I have to back DB2 how I can do that?

Thanks a lot.
Niuniu
April 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
<JG>
The reason for backing up the DB2 metadata is so that is you want to switch back to DB2 you can do it very easily.

It's perfectly OK to create the MSSQL metadata in a different APPS directory but you will have to change your procedures or profile so that it looks at the alternate APP directory.

To back it up if you have direct access to the server directories you just need to copy them.
If your doing it through devstudio you can you can simply drag and drop them in the data servers tree. It's also possible via the Web Console.
April 29, 2005, 03:19 PM
<niuniu>
Thank you, your posting is very helpful.

After I back up DB2 metadata,do I have to remove the old ones so I can create MSSQL Metadata into the same place, because they have to be exactly the same names for both databases.
April 29, 2005, 04:36 PM
<JG>
No and yes, It depends on your version of WebFocus.

There is a replace or overwrite option but it did not work 100% in all versions.

The best idea is to use the Web console and create them there.
Delete the old and create them again.
You need admin privellege on WebFocus for that
April 29, 2005, 05:10 PM
<niuniu>
Very good, Thank you ! Smiler