Focal Point
[SOLVED] Windows text editor to read only part of a file

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3661040613

January 30, 2009, 02:34 PM
Francis Mariani
[SOLVED] Windows text editor to read only part of a file
I'm sure Tech Support personnel use a windows text editor that can read only a specific part of a huge log file. Does any one know of such an editor?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
January 30, 2009, 03:34 PM
j.gross
If this were TSO, the obvious answer would be Browse Big Grin

Good old Kedit (the Windows knockoff of VM's Xedit) has a Get command, to pull in a range of lines from a flat file.

One caveat: it does not comprehend Unicode. (I did say it's old)
January 31, 2009, 08:31 AM
dhagen
Francis,

I still keep a copy of PFE32 installed on my machine for just this sort of thing. You should still be able to download this freeware somewhere. I have been able to open files on the small side of a gig.

How big is the file?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
February 01, 2009, 07:14 PM
StuBouyer
Francis,

If you know your way around vi then the windows version of vim - gvim - will allow you to read even 2GB+ text files.

Cheers

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)
February 02, 2009, 10:08 AM
Francis Mariani
j.gross, dhagen, StuBouyer, thanks for the suggestions.

Stu, I thought you were a New Yorker...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
February 03, 2009, 12:47 AM
StuBouyer
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:

Stu, I thought you were a New Yorker...

Francis,

Nope true-blue born-and-bred Aussie Smiler

Although my friends tell me my accent has been "corrupted" by the time I spent living overseas and working with North Americans Wink

Cheers

Stu

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 (8.2.06 in testing)