Focal Point
Cascading Prompts

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3701082882

June 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
RobinM
Cascading Prompts
I need to pass information from one list to a procedure that fills an additional list box.
Then all selected values are passed to a procedure.

So I list all states
select a state
pass state and fill second list box with all cities
select cities and pass state and cities to third listbox to get all zips for those cities
run
execute a fex with all selected states cities and zips
Anyone know how?
Thanks
June 17, 2008, 05:59 PM
Prarie
Do some research on Chaining.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
another way to handle this would be to use a launch form that contains frames and each selection launches a fex into a separate frame where values are displayed as hyperlinks. All values are then passed back into the original frams where the report is launched. A little confusing, but I absolutely hate trying to get chaining work all of the different ways I need so I avoid it. Chaining is probably an easier technique, but I feel it to be too restrictive. This technique gives amazing flexibility. For those who would suggest that "We only fear what we don't understand" you're probably right, but I don't have much desire to understand chaining any further. I can give some additional info if this is something you may be interested in.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
Not a huge fan of chaining at the moment, but if my NFR turns up I might just give it another shot. I think we have similar needs.

I'm hoping the backroom boys will soon be adding a feature to allow parameter passing to fexes that generate the DDL contents. This will save me jumping through all kinds of hoops with hold files etc.

So for now I just do it the quick and dirty way. DDL1 calls DDL2 calls DDL3... and
I don't even bother with frames. When that param passing feature arrives I have the code already waiting to do its mojo!

Live and Direct from the University of Virginia.

DevStudio 7.6.9 - WF-7.6.9 - Win2k3 - MRE - RC - MSSQL - XBOX-360 Elite - Playstation 3 - Wii - PSP - Nintendo DSi - iPod Touch - Suzuki B-King - Honda Valkyrie - Subaru WRX STI - Canon EOS 1D Mark IV - Lover of Toys.