Focal Point
[CLOSED] Flat File Join With SQL Table

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3967038995

March 07, 2011, 09:32 AM
Kris K
[CLOSED] Flat File Join With SQL Table
Hi Folks,

I am having a requirement of joining a Flat file wich is on the Reporting Server with SQL Table.Users are not willing to Join the Flat File with SQL Table Directly as it will result in Perfomance Issue.Moreover the Users are restricted to Info Assist GUI only they Don't have the Access to Text Editor.Is there any way i can create a Master File and let them join with SQL Table.This Flat File Keeps on changing Every Day from the Transactional Database.So please Help me out With this

Thanks In Advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)
March 07, 2011, 09:39 AM
GamP
I hope that this flat file changes in content, not layout...
Only way I can think of is to have the contents of this flat file written to some sort of temp area in the sql server. That way there is no penalty for joining each and every record from flat to sql, since everything can be done by sql. Otherwise, you're in a tight spot.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
March 07, 2011, 10:28 AM
Kris K
Hi GamP,

Thanks For your Answer and that is a Good Approach but unfortunatley we don't have the Privilage to Create a Temp Table on SQL Server.
Can you Please Suggest me if there is any other way to Approach this issue

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows
March 07, 2011, 03:38 PM
Waz
The other question here is what sort of queries will be made against this join.

Will it allways be filtered on some thing, or can the whole lot be reported on.

Ca the flat file be broken down into logical lumps that could be used in the join without too much performance issues.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

March 07, 2011, 05:07 PM
Kris K
it is used for adhoc Reporting and the Data would be around 500 to 1000 rows of data in the Flat File

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
Windows
March 08, 2011, 03:33 PM
Waz
That does not seem that large, is the flat file have a scrutcure, or is it just a list of keys for joining ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!