Focal Point
[SOLVED] HTML Document - Tasks & Animations stop working when binding is broken

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4077093986

February 23, 2018, 01:03 PM
Don Garland
[SOLVED] HTML Document - Tasks & Animations stop working when binding is broken
I have an HTML Document/Parameter page, created with App Studio. This is inserted into a panel on a portal page.

There is an existing hidden input tied to an existing parameter/variable. I'm trying to change the variable name.

When I do, it unbinds the variable and disables the Tasks & Animations events. The result is, the objects in the tasks no longer refresh the portal page.

I've been working on this for hours and can not find away to re-enable the T&A functionality.

Has anyone else experienced something like this and were you able to recover?

Thank you,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Garland,

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL
February 25, 2018, 01:31 PM
Doug
I found that the best way to change variable names used in a parm page is to change them in the fex, using -DEFAULT, removing the associated task, and re-input the fex. This, I found, changes whatever was using the old variable.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206
February 26, 2018, 08:38 AM
Don Garland
I haven't used the requests section to pull in the fex because I worried about corrupting the HTML Doc. This page is particularly painful to loose and rebuild. It's a prototype and features were added daily, so a lot of movement.

But, you are right, I try it. I hadn't thought of this as a way to recover from a crashed.

Thanks Doug,

PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL
February 26, 2018, 09:59 AM
Don Garland
In my main fex, I changed the -DEFAULTH to -DEFAUT to enable prompting. I added the external procedure under the "Requests -> parameters" option.

The HTML page converted my existing manually created parameters (dashed lines) to externally created parameters (solid lines).

Looks like it's working as described in the manuals.

I think this post taught me that although I'm trying to create things in the GUI, I'm still holding on to old-school methods. It's time to drink the rest of the Kool-Aid Wink

Thanks Doug!

February 26, 2018, 01:45 PM
Doug
Yep,
quote:
It's time to drink the rest of the Kool-Aid
Music
February 26, 2018, 01:50 PM
Francis Mariani
quote:
It's time to drink the rest of the Kool-Aid

All is lost.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
March 05, 2018, 02:19 PM
Doug
Quote: "All is lost." ... Wink
March 05, 2018, 02:57 PM
Don Garland
HA, ALL is not lost, it's just morphing.

The balancing act is this;

on one hand, WebFOCUS must compete with Tableau and Click View etc etc etc etc etc. which means there must be a fair amount of robust, fancy point and click, drag and drop stuff.

On the other hand, the capability to write code behind the scenes is a powerful differentiator for WebFOCUS. I believe it's always going to be there.

But will every future feature support it? I guess we will see.

FYI - I only took a sip Smiler