Focal Point
Launch Dev Studio 5.3.6 on Windows XP

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4101001481

September 05, 2006, 10:27 AM
sekkadu
Launch Dev Studio 5.3.6 on Windows XP
I have installed Dev Studio 5.3.6 on a Windows XP desktop running java version 1.4.2 and I am unable to launch the application. On Click of focshell.exe nothing happens. The Taskmanager does not have focshell.exe running as well. Has anyone seen this kind of a problem before?

Thank you
September 05, 2006, 02:19 PM
NathanC
Was it an upgrade or a new install?
September 06, 2006, 06:53 AM
sekkadu
quote:
Originally posted by NathanC:
Was it an upgrade or a new install?

It was originally an install 5.3.3 and it had the same symptom (The Dev Studio not being launched). We also tried to upgrade the same from 5.3.3 to 5.3.6. Actually, we tried uninstalling and re-installing, upgrading etc. all with the same effect.

Thank you,
September 06, 2006, 12:04 PM
NathanC
1) There is a batch file named thisfoci.bat. Make a copy of it and run the copy after removing the /s after each line. Also remove the lines after the regsvr32.

2) Run THISFOCI and note if any dlls fail to register.

3) I believe XP has an event log utility. There might be something in the log if an exe fails to load.
September 06, 2006, 04:28 PM
sekkadu
I tried these three steps.
Step 2) - No Errors
Step 3) There was nothing on the Eventlog directly pointing to the problem at hand, however around the time of my trying to launch the application, there were some errors relating to Virus Scans. Question: Would Virus scans have any impact? I cannot disable the Virus scans (not authorized).

I really thank you for your efforts!
September 13, 2006, 02:16 PM
NathanC
What were the errors from the Virus Scan?