Focal Point
Copy/Move a File from an FTP server to the WF Reporting Server

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4111045682

June 04, 2008, 01:29 PM
Rick Man
Copy/Move a File from an FTP server to the WF Reporting Server
Is it possible to use Report Caster to do this? It appears to be a one way out, push, from WF to a FTP server. I want to bring in a file in order to report on it. The Reporting Server does not have access to the FTP server. Could it? Would that help?

Thanks,
Rick

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF
June 04, 2008, 02:04 PM
GinnyJakes
You can run an ftp script that does a get from a focexec. I just did that last week to ftp a file from the mainframe to the WebFOCUS box. Security and logon will be your big challenges. But it can be done. I would describe what we did in the security area but I'm on a Unix box and it probably wouldn't be valid for you. You will need some sort of read id to access the ftp server.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
June 04, 2008, 03:34 PM
Rick Man
Yep, that's what I thought. We've thought about that and then we would encypt the fex that has the username and password, and do a -INCLUDE on it. Thanks Ginny.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF
June 04, 2008, 03:43 PM
GinnyJakes
Actually, on Unix, we have to run the script from a focexec. You may have the same problem in Windows. In order to do this, you will be running operating system commands. If you run them one at a time, the system will not know of the preceding command.

Therefore, I recommend that you put your ftp commands in a bat file and then run that from the focexec. You will then have to protect the bat file from viewing and changing.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google