Focal Point
Search Domain for string

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4191030281

August 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
Cheryl T.
Search Domain for string
Within the Managed Reporting Environment, I have one .FEX that is used by many other .FEXs via the -INCLUDE. How do I find all the .FEXs that reference(use)this one .FEX?
(i.e. is there a way to search all .FEXs within a domain for a specific string?)

I'm relatively new at this and appreciate anyone's help... Thanks!
August 23, 2006, 04:24 PM
Francis Mariani
I don't think you can do this within MRE - there's no tool to search the text of the program files.

You could try the Windows Search facility (though there seems to be problems with the Windows XP "Search word or phrase in the file" function.

I do all my text file editing (HTML, JavaScript, JSP, FOCUS, etc) with a program called EditPlus. Among many others, it has a feature to search for text within a folder of files. http://www.editplus.com You can download and use the full program for evaluation.

Cheers,

Francis.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
August 23, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cheryl T.
Thanks for the quick response!
I was able to use the !FIND within a .FEX to search the Applications directory, and it worked pretty slick. I was hoping I could do the same for the MRE enviroment, but no such luck. We've got our Reporting Server on one iSeries and our Web Focus Client on another iSeries. Wondering how (if possible) to get the !FIND to look at the MRE environment.

That being said, can I still use the EDITPLUS?
August 23, 2006, 04:45 PM
Francis Mariani
I am assuming that iSeries is UNIX based.

Unless you have a mapped drive on your windows workstation, EditPlus won't be of help.

Try the grep command:

grep "text-to-find" *.fex

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
August 23, 2006, 04:46 PM
KevinG
Cheryl,

We use a product called WinGREP to search for text strings in FOCEXECS. It is shareware, but works great. Just type in your string, point to your basedir structure and let it search. It can also display the lines of matching code along with the .fex name and directory location.

Hope this helps,

kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX
September 05, 2006, 04:04 PM
Cheryl T.
Thank you both for the suggestions.
Actually, iSeries (aka AS/400) is IBM based, but I can use UNIX type commands by going into QSHELL (QSH). I used the GREP command to search my directory and it worked great!