Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     portable analytics aka Active Reports...does it do anything besides sort?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
portable analytics aka Active Reports...does it do anything besides sort?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
does anyone have Portable Analytics working? and does it do any reorganization, i.e. aggregation by a chosen variable? or does it just sort/filter the observed dataset?
How big a dataset can it handle? bigger than a pivot table?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Download the following manual for information on portable analytics.

WebFOCUS/iWay New Features
Version 7 Release 1.3
DN9400232.0206

pg 2-114 Creating an HTML Active Report
pg 2-120 Using an HTML Active Report

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
dude, is that a yes or a no

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

Just looking at 7.1.3 now and targetting Active Reporting. One thing to be aware of is that I think it requires yet another license to enable it to be used.

However, it appears that you can use a combination of active reports, OLAP and expanable reports.

From the manual -

An HTML Active Report is a report that is designed for offline analysis. When using an HTML Active report you can:
❏ Interact with the data, using analysis options similar to those found in an Excel workbook, without any connection to a server.
❏ Work offline without any additional plug-ins or programs. HTML Active Reports are self-contained reports, meaning they contain all of the data and JavaScript within the HTML output file. Packaging the data and the interactive functions in the HTML file also makes the output highly compressible for e-mail and transparent to security systems.
❏ Save the report on a local machine with the packaged interactivity. Since no connection to a server is required to view the data or use the analysis options, you can save and use the report anywhere.

When working with an HTML Active report, you can:
❏ Filter or highlight data.
❏ Sort data within any column in ascending or descending order.
❏ Apply calculations to columns and choose the location to display results.
❏ Control the display of data by hiding columns, freezing columns, limiting the number of rows per page, and using graphic visualization to compare column values.
❏ Create a variety of simple or advanced charts (pie, line, bar, or scatter) and roll-up tables.
❏ Apply a global filter on multiple reports within the same HTML page.
❏ Export report data.
❏ Restore original report settings.

So I would hazard a guess that the answer is Yes?

Freeze frames (just like Excel) is also possible.

Recommended rows for IE is only 5000 but 20000 for Firefox and Netscape. - See TM4625

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
thanks T, ive read the same, and seen the demos, just still dont see anything that looks more advanced, like picking a field to aggregate on. 5k limit makes it too small to be useful.

Master
posted Hide Post
All, there are a lot of thing you can do with active reports. a big plus is that there is not additional overhead on the backend server or the web server as you are processing against the html output directly. Also you can email the html file and the user can then process it however they want.

Hope this helps

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
thanks, but we're looking for a specific example of something other than sorting and filtering, such as aggregation by a selected variable.

Expert
posted Hide Post
TS,

The whole idea of reduced impact on the servers was what I was hoping for with AHTML but with a recommended limit of 5000 rows by 15 columns for IE it is unlikely to prove that valuable when measured against cost of license.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
From the aforementioned doco:

You can perform calculations on data in an HTML Active Report. Types of calculations that
you can apply are:
❏ Count all, which counts the number of occurrences of the field.
❏ Count distinct, which counts the number of distinct values within a field.

For numeric fields you can also apply:
❏ Sum, which sums the values of all the fields in the column.
❏ Avg, which computes the average value of the field.
❏ Min, which generates the minimum value of the field.
❏ Max, which generates the maximum value of the field.
❏ % of Total - Computes a field’s percentage based on the total values for the field.

Calculations are applied to the entire data set and to the filtered and/or expanded data in
the report. What this means is that reports that have filters applied or are not fully
expanded will have two results appear for calculations. The first is the calculation for the visible data (that is the data that currently appears in the report output). The second is the result for all values in the report even if they are filtered out or are not currently showing in an expandable report.

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
still no sign of aggregation.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Speaking of cost, what is the pricing for Active Reporting?

Can developers get access (gratis) for evaluation purposes?

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Do pigs fly?

I did see an example somewhere over the last few days, but I don't seem to be able to find it again Frowner.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

<Maryellen>
posted
I wanted to triple check your request before replying...it is not unlikely that you may be eligible to receive an Active Reports trial license. For more information regarding Active Reports or a trial license please contact your local Information Builders branch sales representative.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
what a sweetheart you are
we gotta go to 7 first. Wink
i was just thinking of a couple of prospective clients for you, folks who send us data in Cubes and in Pivot Tables, who are looking for an alternative(s); But i think the 5k record limit and the just-sort, no-aggregate would not be an enticement.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

Here in the UK, we had a User Group meeting last week and Gerry was there, so I took the opportunity to question him regarding the limit for IE (don't forget that with FF it's 20K rows). Gerry confirmed my suspicion that it is due to the fact that IE can't handle too much data (and these are my words) great overburdened beast that it is.

What was also confirmed was that Dev Studio has Active reporting built into it's stand alone server capability.

When you say aggregation, do you mean summation of a section of the report? If so you can filter out records and sum, avg, max, min etc. on the filtered records. You can also create charts on the fly as well, although the ability to resize the chart window is limited. A good product but bad limitations.

BTW, Hollywood, the new graphics look good.

T

p.s. check your PM

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
uh
i'ld be ever so happy to check my PM if i knew what a PM was?
i mean by aggregation...to what extent can this thing be positioned as a replacement for a cube, with its cool "zero-client"ness

Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

PM - personal messaging

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
It seems that aggregation is limited to SUMmming, and no calculated fields can be recalculated at summation (or what they call rollup) levels , such as growth rates or %difs; at least i've yet to see a demo of such.
so it seems as yet a zero-footprint way to get a small amount of reorganized data into xml. The fully-populated columns on export is quite nice, and necessary, and unheralded in the demos i've seen;