Focal Point
[SOLVED] &IBIC_pass Exposed

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4257042776

July 14, 2015, 02:52 PM
Yazster
[SOLVED] &IBIC_pass Exposed
Hi,

Can anybody please explain to me why my &IBIC_pass variable is exposed?

I'm using LDAP security (Trusted) and when I type
-TYPE &IBIC_pass
it shows me the user's LDAP password.
This is happening in my DEV environment but not in production. For the life of me I can't seem to locate the config difference between the two that would allow this behavior.

Many thanks! Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Yazster,

WebFOCUS 8.201M
Windows, Linux, All Outputs
July 14, 2015, 04:29 PM
CoolGuy
WF Admin Console -> Configuration -> Custom Settings.

Take out the line for &IBIC_pass and save.

Check setting for both environments.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.
July 15, 2015, 08:50 AM
Yazster
Thanks for that, seems to have done the trick.

Oddly enough though, both environments have the same custom settings, and yet my production environment doesn't expose the passwords...

Guessing there's another setting somewhere...

<SET> IBIMR_user(PASS)
<SET> IBIMR_pass(PASS)

<SET> IBIC_user(PASS)
<SET> IBIC_pass(PASS)  

WebFOCUS 8.201M
July 15, 2015, 09:37 AM
MattC
Is both your DEV and Prod on 8.1.4? Just curious. I tested it on 8.00.8 and it does not expose the password. I do have an 8.1.4 environment, but I haven't tested it.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
July 15, 2015, 09:52 AM
Yazster
Yes both are 8.104.

I had the settings previously on 8.008 and all worked fine, no passwords were exposed. After upgrading both environments, passwords were exposed in my dev environment. No changes (to my knowledge) were made to either environment.

WebFOCUS 8.201M
July 15, 2015, 10:33 AM
MattC
I tried it in my 8.1.4 environment, but I am not seeing it, in fact I am getting prompted or getting an error that it can't find the value, depending on where I am running it from, either MRE or RS.

I kind of wonder why you would have IBIMR_pass(PASS) set in your custom settings. That's not very secure.

We use LDAP along with SiteMinder, so anything I want to pass from LDAP, I have our LDAP admin throw it into the SM_HEADER to secure it properly. Otherwise you could have some spoofing.

By any means I am no expert.

-SET &ECHO='ALL';

-TYPE &IBIC_pass

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY
END
-RUN

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
July 20, 2015, 04:36 PM
Yazster
The IBIMR_pass (PASS) statement was added by an IBI consultant when they created an initial application for us. Not really sure if/why it is required.

Removing the &IBIC_pass from the Custom Settings seems to have resolved the issue. This doesn't seem to have impacted anything negatively, I suppose time will tell Smiler

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!

WebFOCUS 8.201M