Focal Point
[CLOSED]What is the difference between WebFOCUS 7 and WebFOCUS 8

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4317011976

October 29, 2015, 05:09 PM
M A Sunil
[CLOSED]What is the difference between WebFOCUS 7 and WebFOCUS 8
Hi,

Can any one explain me What is the difference between WebFOCUS 7 and WebFOCUS 8. Is there any difference in development or in architecture.

Thanks in advance
Sunil

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Webfocus 7.1.6
Windows
Excel, HTML, PDF,AHTML
October 30, 2015, 08:02 AM
MartinY
There are a lot of differences; especially on architecture.

I suggest that you contact your IBI sales rep for detail; it's way too long to make a list here and it's not the place. You may also read technical documentation.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
October 30, 2015, 10:46 AM
GavinL
Everything! If you have dashboards, prepare to re-write them.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server
October 30, 2015, 10:51 AM
bug
To anyone with experience of WF8, can I still keep my HTML files separated from webfocus, or are they included in a WF package? I want my freedom to manipulate my css and javascript independently.

7.66 and 7.704
System: Windows / AIX / Linux
Output: Mostly HTML, with some PDF, Excel and Lotus(!)
November 02, 2015, 08:03 AM
GavinL
@bug

Up to 8.1.05 and as long as your using Dev Studio, then the answer is yes. In App Studio or 8.2, it's not as easy to edit your html code. They have removed the option that says, "Edit in Text Editor". IBI's direction is to force you to use App Studio and to work with a pure UI interface, against every developers wishes. You can still edit in external source, which could be notepad/ultraedit or any other text editor you wish, but that isn't a very good solution.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
November 02, 2015, 09:21 AM
bug
quote:
Originally posted by GavinL:
@bug

Up to 8.1.05 and as long as your using Dev Studio, then the answer is yes. In App Studio or 8.2, it's not as easy to edit your html code. They have removed the option that says, "Edit in Text Editor". IBI's direction is to force you to use App Studio and to work with a pure UI interface, against every developers wishes. You can still edit in external source, which could be notepad/ultraedit or any other text editor you wish, but that isn't a very good solution.

That means the HTML/JS/CSS files can still be saved in the file system, instead of a package? If that's the case I'm fine. I don't use dev studio anyway Smiler

7.66 and 7.704
System: Windows / AIX / Linux
Output: Mostly HTML, with some PDF, Excel and Lotus(!)
November 03, 2015, 08:35 AM
Craig R.
I liken it to going from Windows 7 to Windows 8!

Craig

v8.1.04, 64-bit Windows (Reporting Server), Apache Tomcat (Web/App Server), HTML, PDF, AHTML, Excel outputs
November 03, 2015, 10:15 AM
GavinL
@bug, only the reporting server files sit on the HD. All client content sit in a DB.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!