Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Using FML
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
We are using WebFocus 7.1. Do we need to purchase anything additional to use FML? Does it need to be done in Developer Studio or can any user with report writing capabilities use FML commands?

Server Environment: Win2K3 Server WebFOCUS 7.13 Apache Tomcat standalone application server

Expert
posted Hide Post
Bethany,

Is is a 'part' of the product and therefore should be accessible from the various development interfaces.

FML - or Financial Modelling Language - has also been known as -

EMR - Extended Matrix Reporting
FRL - Financial Reporting Language
.... you get the idea.

In the report assistant tools your coders will find it as the matrix tab. Can't remember how 7.1.1 accesses it, I'll check later tonight and post.

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Bethany,

While we wait to hear from Tony, I checked with our product manager and here is the answer.

The FML Painter is only in Dev. Studio. The painter does write FML Code so if someone would like to program in FOCUS, it will work.

But please keep in mind, it would take a lot longer to create a Financial Report by coding FOCUS than in the Financial Report Painter.

Hope this helps.

Tony, have you checked 7.1.1 and get more info to add? Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sorry Kerry, Not had time tonight ('tis the season after all Smiler) but will endeavour to check as soon as I can.

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Tony and Kerry for your help.
-Bethany

Server Environment: Win2K3 Server WebFOCUS 7.13 Apache Tomcat standalone application server

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony, no problem. I can understand as everyone is swamped around this time of year. Thank you so much for looking into this. Smiler

Bethany, you are more than welcome.

Cheers,
Big Grin
Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, there have been no significant modifications to the method in which the FML Painter achieves the results or how it is accessed in 7.1.1 (on Windows).

As the Product Manager has said - it is only exists in as a Dev Studio interface and therefore your developers will have to have Dev Studio to use the painter (accessed from the "matrix" tab in report painter).

Don't be put off by -
quote:
But please keep in mind, it would take a lot longer to create a Financial Report by coding FOCUS than in the Financial Report Painter.

as, in my experience, once developers with any savvy have been shown how to use FML they can sometimes code as quick using an editor instead of the GUI.

However, before I'm beaten down on my last statement, I would add that the more you use the GUI the more familiar you will be with it and therefore you might build reports faster using it. For my part, the GUI came along later in my FOCUS experience and so, like many of the "old" (a.k.a. "more experienced") coder group (stand up, you know who you are!! Wink), I find it faster to hand code all of my WebFOCUS reports (and HTML etc. but that's another story).

Finally I would add that FML is a powerful tool and should be part of every WebFOCUS developers skill set (a bit like MODIFY used to be) and, for particular reports, it should be the tool of preference.

My advice is that if you don't already know it then, during your next slack period, get to know it and become more familiar with it.

In FOCUS
since 1986