Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Run a caster schedule from a fex?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Run a caster schedule from a fex?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Is there a way to invoke a reportcaster schedule from within a fex? Also, where do I find the documentation for the reportcaster API?

Posts: 59 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: September 01, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
If DSTRUN works in your version, you use that. (it apparently is broken in 5.2.1).
See "ReportCaster and Two-Way Email API for Self-Service Applications"

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
<DocServices>
posted
Hi,

You can view, download, and/or buy the ReportCaster and Two-Way Email API for Self-Service Applications manual (DN4500500.0903) from the Technical Documentation Library.

If you have an InfoResponse ID, login on the Tech Support web site and then access the Library. By logging in first, you can download the PDF file and/or view the HTMLHelp version.

You can access the Technical Documentation Library via the following Web sites:

• www.iwaysoftware.com
    (From the top navigation bar, click Services & Support. Then, select Bookstore.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jennifer

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure what your exact situation is but in our environment we kick-off Caster schedules via a focexec in the daily mainframe batch cycle.

When we create new schedules (using the API) we set them to "Run Once." Then we have a focexec that is called in the last step of the batch after all the other processing is finished.
(EX CCTRW568 SCHEDID=Stnsge39u13).

The focexec basically locates the schedule and modifies the NEXTRUNTIME for the specified SCHEDULEID to be a time in the past and updates BOTSCHED. So, the next time Caster "wakes up" it will run the schedule.

Not sure if this information is helpful or not but thought I'd pass it along.

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
codermonkey, that's quite swell.
Would you consider writing an article for Developers Corner with the content of CCTRW568.fex? You'ld have a lot of fans.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I went to the API sample login page at http://hostname/context_root/samples/rbalogon.htm, and after filing in fields and clicking the logon button, I got a "Page Cannot be Displayed" error.

What's worse, when I now try to go access reportcaster through MRE, BID or whatever, I get an error saying "Unable to communicate with the Distribution Server to obtain configuration information. Please confirm that the Distribution Server is started and that the values of the Distribution Server server host and port are correct."

Can anyone tell me what I may have done wrong, and what I can do to get my reportcaster access back?

Posts: 59 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: September 01, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Brad,

Are you still receiving the error message? I did a search on the documents and realized that, for this kind of generic errors, i.e. "Page Cannot be Displayed", "Unable to communicate with the Distribution Server", there may be various reasons. Therefore, the most appropriate channel for assistance would be Information Builders' Customer Support Help Desk. The phone number is 1-800-736-6130, or you can access the online system at http://techsupport.ibi.com.

A quick thought, have you made any changes to the Distribution Server, for example, the port #, the IP address, etc? Or any changes to the WebFOCUS Server, i.e. password, authentication, etc?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kerry

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Coder monkey,

Can you please throw some light on how you can have a mainframe jcl execute a focexec and update BOTSCHED in the following deployment scenario:

Reporting servers : Z/OS USS
Report Caster : Windows 2003 / SQL SERVER

Thanks

Posts: 176 | Location: Desplaines | Registered: August 05, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
In our environment our caster repository is FOCUS databases on MVS so writing to the caster tables is very straight forward. I've not had to deal the scenario you described myself.

I've seen cases on tech support where caster is called by setting up JCL on MVS to execute RDAAPP and run a fex on a windows server. The fex in turn uses DSTRUN to run the Caster job. Depending on the your release this can be problematic (see post above from N. Selph).

My suggestion is to check out the caster self-service doc referenced in this post and do a search on tech support. You can also open a case and get help for your specific situation.

Good Luck.

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post