Focal Point
Physical file names in MRE

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4371032982

June 25, 2008, 11:17 AM
Mighty Max
Physical file names in MRE
I've been right clicking to see the physical file name of a .fex when working in MRE in Developer Studio.

Is there a better way to see the actual physcial file name of a .fex?

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files
June 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
Sayed
That is usually the way to do it. Unless you are trying to map out a long list of focexec name from a particular domain or user file, the you can go digging around on the .htm files in your basedir.

Thanks,
Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE
July 01, 2008, 09:44 AM
Llance
Max,

Yeah, It's currently pretty lame.

Recently I've been thinking we need a NFR for adding a user switchable option for a "real name or path" column in DS. Especially when you consider how carelessly DS "preserves" those names when copying and how important it is to know them when messing with chains of drill FEXes.

Personally I'd rather see the paradigm shifted so we can work with real filesystem names/paths and can map logical names and domains at will if need be (useful for Dashboard names), but considering the number of times I've been asked "why would you want to do that?" about many of the things I do, I'm probably in the minority Smiler

Live and Direct from the University of Virginia.

DevStudio 7.6.9 - WF-7.6.9 - Win2k3 - MRE - RC - MSSQL - XBOX-360 Elite - Playstation 3 - Wii - PSP - Nintendo DSi - iPod Touch - Suzuki B-King - Honda Valkyrie - Subaru WRX STI - Canon EOS 1D Mark IV - Lover of Toys.
July 02, 2008, 06:28 PM
Waz
I too can't stand the names created, but can understand why.

We quite often edit the files directly, don't like the editor in MRE.

What we do when a new file is created in MRE is to create it with the name I want the file to be, then rename it. At lease the file names are inteligible.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

July 04, 2008, 02:56 AM
Frans
The filename management in MRE is indeed pretty lame. Especially when you use a lot of include's.

My way to solve this issue is just to work on EDA and put some small fexes in MRE where you include your EDA fex:

-MRNOEDIT BEGIN
-INCLUDE EDAFEX.FEX
-MRNOEDIT END

This way you only have to put a fex once on MRE to publish it on the dashboard. All the development can be done on EDA.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.
July 04, 2008, 04:21 AM
Waz
Frans, that is what we do here.

We use MRE only for launch pages, collect the parameters, set the environment.

The core of the program lives in an App directory. Far easier to manage and edit.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!