Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     MRE Privileges: Advanced vs. Save My Reports

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
MRE Privileges: Advanced vs. Save My Reports
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'm looking through the WF 7.1 manual for MRE and I am trying to understand the user privileges that can be given to users. The manual says you can give the user the privilege to Save My Reports which appear under the My Reports tab. I understand this. However, there is this other privilege called Advanced which allows a user to create Custom Reports that will also appear under the My Reports tab.

I don't see what the difference is between these two privileges since both allow a user to save reports onto their My Reports tab.

I guess I need to know what the difference is between a normal My Report and a Custom Report?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
user-saved reports created by using a reporting object and then SAVEd MY REPORTS can't be opened to view the text, and must start with a reporting object, and will be saved only under the reporting object's own heading in the MY REPORTS area.
Custom Reports (an advanced user feature)does not fall within any given reporting object's own heading, doesn't start with a reporting object,and is totally do-it-yourself, and all the code can be read in the text editor.
What's missing here is the middle ground...
whats missing is a way for the user to move a report FROM the reporting objects area (where you can't edit the code..for good reason) to the Custom Reports area, where the user could edit the code, at least view it, never open it in report assistant again..which is fine...
but this would allow users to begin to LEARN how to code in focus...to actually see whats going on. In Custom, if a user picks report assist, they start with a list of EVERY master that is on the edapath...just as if they were an admin in Domain Builder....So, Custom Reports i use to build special things for special smart users..that they can then edit themselves. But its only available on THEIR my reports..and not to others.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for the enlightenment. I will have to give this a test drive to see how it does.

FYI, It looks like you can share the Custom Reports as well, just like sharing a normal My Report.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
yes indeed, that would be the user's choice...In your test driving, see if you can figure out a way for a user to build a fex from a reporting object, and then somehow move it to the custom area and be able to crack it open...
That would be the greatest thing... and a reason for upgrading ...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

You mentioned, "In Custom, if a user picks report assist, they start with a list of EVERY master that is on the edapath...just as if they were an admin in Domain Builder...."

I created a new user and can create new reports under Domain Builder using report assist, the list of masters appear from which the user can select. However, when the user goes into custom and creates a new report using report assist, the list of master files is blank. The user can't choose anything. Is there something I missed?

my site is:711 win2k,self-serve,mre (not yet live)

Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
QA: WebFOCUS 7.6.10, Data Migrator 7.6.10
Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.2, Data Migrator 7.6.8
Windows 2K3, Tomcat 5.5.17, IIS 6
Usage: HTML, PDF, Excel, Self-serve, BID and MRE

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
depends on the path, dballest.
whatever is the default path, either for your entire site, or for that domain.
If you're showing nothing at all available to the Custom Report user, then i'm a bit puzzled how your Reporting Objects are showing up to your RA user. At least the same Reporting Object Masters should be showing up. Sounds like you could benefit from having TechSupport sign in with you and have a look at your path setup, they'll be able to give you the right answer right away.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it is strange. Let me give the TechSupport people a call.

Posts: 197 | Location: Roseville, CA | Registered: January 24, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mickey, susannah,
The "Advanced" privilege allows the user to create their own reports from scratch, including joins using Report Assist. They are not restricted to the Reporting Objects, which is why they are defined as Custom.

Users that have the "Save Reports" privilege can also save their reports, but they are restricted to Reporting Objects.

Hope that helps clarify!

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.1.6 - on Win 2K3/Tomcat - MRE/BID/RCaster/VisDis and AS400 (JDEWorld)

Posts: 23 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 16, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We found out what's causing the list of masters not appearing in under the Domains tab vs Domain builder tab using Report assist in MRE.

The problem was traced to the remarks portion on the master description being enclosed in double quotes. We replaced them with single quotes and the masters appear. Only 1 master having this scenario will cause the whole list of masters not to show up under that domain.

Dan