Focal Point
Send email from fex

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4431018331

November 18, 2004, 12:05 AM
George Brown
Send email from fex
I know you can use reportcaster to send emails but is it possible to send an email which is generated via a .fex file?

I basically create a page (html or whatever output chosen for the fex output) that gives the user two options.

Clicking the left button or link sends an email including some variables from the fex to a specified address

Clicking the right button or link sends an email including some other variables and some constants to a specified address.

We do not have php or other scripting available to us (unless I figured out how to write my own jsp pages and put them into worp).

Is there a built-in way to send email from within a fex wihout using reportcaster?

Thanks in advance.
November 18, 2004, 12:28 AM
susannah
If you have IE, click on File, Send, Page by Email;
i just sent your post page to you.
See if you get it.
November 18, 2004, 12:33 AM
George Brown
I got your email but I have the same problem with this as I do with using a <a href="sendto:..."> is that it integrates directly with your email program.

Our email program is Groupwise and it doesn't seem to want to play nice with IE or any of our browsers for that matter.

Thank you for the response but it doesn't look like this will work for us.

Thanks again,
November 18, 2004, 03:12 AM
susannah
rats.
November 18, 2004, 03:53 AM
<Pietro De Santis>
This is an example of mailto as well.

Are you on a windows pc? Have you set up GroupWise as your default email program?

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

-SET &AAA_User_ID = 'TEST1';
-SET &RQ_User_ID = 'TEST2';
-SET &RQ_User_Name = 'JOHN';
-SET &RQ_Email_Add = 'JOHN.J@SOMEWHERE.COM';
-SET &P_Action = 'ADD';
-SET &P_User_ID = 'TEST3';
-SET &User_Name = 'JAMES';
-SET &ErrReason = 'Error reason one';

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
_html_
_head_
_title_Test_/title_
_script language="JavaSScript"_

var vMsg = 'User Administration Rejection Notification';
window.defaultStatus = vMsg;

var AAA_User_ID = '!IBI.AMP.AAA_User_ID;';
var RQ_User_ID = '!IBI.AMP.RQ_User_ID;';
var RQ_User_Name = '!IBI.AMP.RQ_User_Name;';
var RQ_Email_Addr = '!IBI.AMP.RQ_Email_Add;';
var P_Action = '!IBI.AMP.P_Action;';
var P_User_ID = '!IBI.AMP.P_User_ID;';
var User_Name = '!IBI.AMP.User_Name;';
var ErrReason = '!IBI.AMP.ErrReason;';

var MailtoURL =
'mailto:' + RQ_User_Name + ' [' + RQ_Email_Addr + ']' + // mailto Name + email address
'?Subject=User Admin Reject Notification' + // mail subject
'&|Body=' + 'Dear ' + RQ_User_Name + ' (' + RQ_User_ID + ')'+ ',\%0A\%0A' + // mail body
'Your ' + P_Action + ' request for User ID ' + P_User_ID +
' has been rejected for the following reason:\%0A\%0A' +
ErrReason + '\%0A\%0ARegards,\%0A\%0A' + User_Name + ' (' + AAA_User_ID + ')';

function SendEmail()
{
window.location = MailtoURL;
window.close();
}
_/script_
_/head_

_body_
_center_
_br_
_span class="cssTabHeading"_Modification Rejection Notification_/span_
_br__br_
_p class="cssMsg2"_Please press Send to edit and send an email to the requesting System Administrator_/p_
_form action="" method="post"_
_input class=cssButton type=button value="Send" onCClick="SendEmail();"_
_/form_
_/center_
_/body_
_/html_
-HTMLFORM END
-EXIT
November 29, 2004, 08:33 PM
George Brown
Thanks for your responses but they can't help me since they all revolve around using an integrated mail client. Our mail client is Groupwise which, in our current configuration, doesn't play nice with the mailto: option of web pages.

Does anyone have any other solutions to sending an email through a .fex file? I know how to do it in php and have even done it in coldfusion but as I said we don't have those available to us.

Thanks
December 23, 2004, 04:06 PM
Lloyd
This is probably a dead post by now, but have you tried using one of the Mailto integraters that are out there? Not sure on specifics, but I remember reading about it when I was researching a groupwise project about a year or so ago.