Focal Point
Maintain - calling MDE from Dev Studio

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4521015562

January 10, 2008, 09:47 PM
Penny_Lester
Maintain - calling MDE from Dev Studio
Dev Studio 5.3.3 was installed with a license key allowing Maintain, and up until last Tuesday I could get into the Maintain Dev Environment (MDE) by dbl clicking on a .mnt file. I never did see the MDE icon in Dev Studio, but as I said I could still get into the MDE by dbl clicking.

I have two questions: 1) why didn't the MDE icon ever show up in Dev Studio? and 2) what could have happened to suddenly stop the MDE from coming up? I have located the CDE.exe which allows me to get into MDE, but I would really like to get in from Dev Studio, as I used to.

The Maintain environment is Dev Studio 5.3.3 running on a Win 2003 desktop.

Regards,
Penny J Lester

WebFOCUS 7.7.02
Window 2003 /32bit
January 11, 2008, 08:06 AM
Maintain Wizard
Morning Penny
I can't think of any reason why double-clicking on the MNT file wouldn't launch the MDE. Is it possible that the MNT filetype is no longer associated with the MDE?

As for the icon not showing up, this is just an install issue. Please open a case with Customer Support and have them check the license code that you are using.

Mark
January 11, 2008, 11:29 AM
Penny_Lester
Hey Mark - we were told by our SE that our serial numbers were appropriate for Maintain. Also our contract indicates these serial numbers are valid for Maintain.

When the user is given admin rights to install the software the icon shows up in Dev Studio. If an IT admin installs the software the icon does not show up. Why is that?

Apparently the client upgraded to Office 2003 recently - so we will look to ensure .mnt file type is associated with CDE.exe (please confirm this is correct).

Thanks Mark...

WebFOCUS 7.7.02
Window 2003 /32bit
January 11, 2008, 11:36 AM
GinnyJakes
Hi, Penny.

You must install Dev. Studio under the id that is going to use it. If you do it under the admin id, you have all kinds of problems as you are discovering.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google
January 22, 2008, 08:21 PM
Penny_Lester
Sorry I have been so slow to respond. Ginny you confirmed my thinking. Thank you all for your assistance on this puzzling situation. I found out they upgraded MS Office and apparently the .mnt suffix was not set up to automatically open Maintain.

Penny - and I work in any/all WebFOCUS environments - whatever the client has running!

WebFOCUS 7.7.02
Window 2003 /32bit