Focal Point
[CLOSED] InfoAssist dimensions & measures

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/454101683

March 04, 2010, 06:45 AM
JAL
[CLOSED] InfoAssist dimensions & measures
Hi there,

I'm looking for a way to organise the dimensions and measures in the InfoAssist create report view into logical groupings/folders based on subject area. I've searched this on the dev forum and it seems that the dimensions and measures get split just simply on whether the field is a character or a number.

I've also tried reorganising the data in the Synonym Editor via a Business View, but this also loses any folder structure in the InfoAssist front end view. If you have joined multiple tables into a dataset and then built a view over for example Customer/Product/Sales containing multiple fields, InfoAssist will just split this into 2 nonsensical buckets of dimensions and measures.. not really friendly for the end user as it does not show where this field is coming from.

I don't need to OLAP enable these reports, I just want the user to be able to create reports off relational data that's grouped into logical subject areas.

The main question is, is there a way to show data organised logically into folders in the InfoAssist front end view. That is , can the default dimensions/measures be modelled or split into groups?

Thanks
Jon

PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.7 on Windows 2003
DEV: WebFOCUS 7.6.9 on Windows 2003

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
Windows 2003
Excel, PDF, HTML, InfoAssist
March 09, 2010, 09:04 AM
Dave
Hi JAL,

This is what I noticed too !

We do not use InfoAssist here yet.
But I attented a InfoAssist hand-on-experience day at InformationBuilders.

I asked the lady and she confirmed it. If it's text it's a dimension, if it's numeric it's a measure.

Pretty silly since everything we use has a numeric ID which is never a measure.
( so much for the "CAR" sample... )

But she -did- mention it can be solved using businessviews. I guess you're on the right track.

A solution we used in our previous BI-tool is just convert the numeric dimensions in to text-fields. This also prevent accidental calculations on them.

Good luck.

March 22, 2010, 03:08 PM
AG
Info Assist provides 3 view options:
1. Logical - Grouped as Dimensions and Measures
2. List - Alphabetic list of all fields/attributes
3. Structured

Using a Business View with the "structured" option should get you what you are looking for.