Focal Point
[SHARING] Dev Studio "Upload Data File" doesn't really work very well

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/461108622

September 01, 2009, 11:21 AM
Francis Mariani
[SHARING] Dev Studio "Upload Data File" doesn't really work very well
0) Upload Data File page does not display correctly - left portion of window is cut - one has to resize the window for it to be displayed correctly

1) Memory problems cause HTTP 500 error when uploading a large file (I tried 5Mb and 9Mb files). Apache Tomcat memory parameter change suggested.

2) After Apache Tomcat memory parameter change, no memory problem, but JavaScript error - causing problems with the field format window: some of the form objects do not get populated so we cannot continue.

3) Dates not treated intuitively for CSV files: If the default alphanumeric A50 field contains the value 2005/04/01 and I change the field format to Date YYMD, the data value transforms to 0168/01/04. I now cannot get the date to display correctly again - changing the format back to Alphanumeric A50 transforms the value to 01680104, I have to cancel the process and start over. Dates in XLS files are processed correctly, we can change the default field format from alphanumeric A50 to Date YYMD or Date MDYY and the data is transformed correctly.

4) Columns that contain only numbers but need to be defined as alphanumeric are not displayed correctly. E.G. A column defined as "Text" in Excel with a value of 40 is displayed in the Upload Data File window as 40.00 with a default type of Double D12.2. Changing this to Alphanumeric A2 leaves the decimal - it shouldn't have put it there in the first place.

5) Why is the Master generated with only the FORMAT attribute? I would expect it to be generated with both the USAGE and ACTUAL attributes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
September 01, 2009, 12:43 PM
Francis Mariani
6) A less-than sign (<) in an alphanumeric column confuses WebFOCUS and causes an error.

This alpha value:

# OF STATEMENTS PRINTED WITH ENCLOSURES <=32

Causes this error:
(FOC213) THE RECORD CONTAINS A FIELDNAME WHICH IS NOT RECOGNIZED: # OF STATEME

The solution is to edit the file and add single-quotes around the alpha value:
'# OF STATEMENTS PRINTED WITH ENCLOSURES <=32'

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server