Focal Point
Calling WebFOCUS RPC from an MS-Access form

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4681004982

June 26, 2008, 10:05 AM
BlueZone
Calling WebFOCUS RPC from an MS-Access form
Could not find similar topics anywhere around, so please advise on the following.

We have an Access form that CSRs use to get basic information from a MS-SQL database. The need is to now come up with a way to execute an existing WebFOCUS RPC that resides on the the mainframe, by passing the key of current record shown on the Access form (say Customer#).

Google has thrown up a couple of message boards that explain how to call a webpage with parameters from the access form. But the issue here is how I would authenticate the query execution to the mainframe log-in before I can actually execute it. The id/pw can potentially be passed in the URL, but that would compromise Security.

We do have the Dashboard and public views that 'launch' a report when called, but I need to pass specific parameters for each call to the rpc. Is there a way call a public view with input parameters ?

Any and all input on this issue would be very highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Sandeep Mamidenna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music
July 07, 2008, 01:59 PM
Zippo
Webfocus has the ability to expose a procedure as a WebService. Perhaps you Access application can call a Webservice?
September 02, 2008, 01:18 PM
mtguy
Hi,
Did u tried to call the webpage from access doing a http post ? In this way the username and pwd will not be display in the URL .

Best regards,
MtGuy

WF 7.6.2 , iWay 5.5 , Sun Unix , Windows XP , .NET , Oracle , SQL Server and more
September 04, 2008, 12:52 AM
Michael L. Meagher
I do this quite often. I will send you a code example from work tomorrow.

In FOCUS since 1980