April 20, 2009, 03:02 PM
Francis Mariani
[OFF TOPIC] Oracle buys Sun
CNET: Oracle reels in Sun for $7.4 billion

I wonder what this means for our world?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
April 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
Mighty Max
IBM was going to buy Sun.
I guess they lucked out.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files
April 20, 2009, 04:27 PM
dhagen
I guess this puts IBM and Oracle in direct competition with one another on all fronts. I've been waiting for HP to make a move to add to their software division ... maybe this move will expedite that.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott
April 21, 2009, 03:45 AM
GamP
It wouldn't surprise me if the sold the hardware part and kept the software. After all, it is a bit beside their core business to also produce and sell hardware, isn't it?

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
April 21, 2009, 04:55 PM
Waz
I think that Oracle wants the hardware, as dhagen says, direct competition.

IBM has mainframe, unix, as400.

I read somewhere that perhaps whey will package systems and software, minimise config.

So if someone wants say Financials or an HR system, oracle can supply the software, DB and Hardware, pre installed and set up, perhaps like OEM. May cause problems for system integrators.

Keep in mind it still has to be approved by the shareholders

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!