Focal Point
Report Caster and System Variables

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4891054542

September 05, 2007, 01:03 PM
<DougLee>
Report Caster and System Variables
How can I -SET something based on a system variable which is not passed in from RC and is needed for proper execution of a fex which is submitted via RC? What I’m doing is as follows: -SET &CNCT = IF &IBIMR_domain EQ 'X' THEN 'Y' ELSE 'Z' ; Where 'X' is a valid value FOR &IBIMR_domain and &IBIMR_domain is a WebFOCUS / system variable. This is WebFOCUS 536 / AIX, Thanks, Doug
September 06, 2007, 06:01 AM
hammo1j
Use && Global variables in one of the preprocesses to vary the action of rcaster jobs.

If you want a process to prompt for parameters and then run in the background use deferred execution.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
September 06, 2007, 08:42 AM
FrankDutch
Or you can set the variables in RC

Edit -> Task -> Advanced

There you will see the variables

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

September 06, 2007, 11:57 AM
susannah
hey Doug, nice to see you on the Point.
If you put your -SET &CNT into a pre-processing fex for the caster task, the question i have is would the task fex itself run in the same agent as the preprocessing fex?
I dont know that it does...
Even if you set it as a &&CNT, would it die between pre-processing and task-processing?
John? Frank?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
September 06, 2007, 12:06 PM
Prarie
Susannah...nice to see you on the point!

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
Thanks everyone for the input (Hi Susannah. Nice to be on the point - aka: Leading Bleeding Edge).

The problem is: I need to set a variable for "ENGINE SQLORA ... [connection]" based on the folder [abcdefgh/abcdefgh.htm]. However, that System Variable, &IBIMR_domain, is not available in my procedure and needs to be set in Report Caster. This defeats the idea of a procedure setting a variable dynamically.

More Thoughts?