Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Error Message Descriptions

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Error Message Descriptions
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi all,

im wondering if there is a way to get the error messages to default to the full description version instead of the light decsription version.

I know none of the error message numbers by heart and find many of the light descripotions particularly unhelpful- therefore whenever i get an error message i have to go back into my code and enter:

? [Error Number]

so i can get a full description when i rerun it. Its very frustrating so am hoping there is a way, like SET TITLES=OFF , i can get the full description as default.

Anyone know?

also i had a bug yesterday where i had mispelled the

ENGINE SQLORA DEFAULT_CONNECTION

Command and rather than it throwing up an error it just used the connection for the domain i was in.

It really threw me and i spent quite a bit of time trying looking for something in the intended domain when it was actually using the default domain- had it told me i had got the connection syntax wrong i woiuldn't have wasted that time.

Anyone experienced this?

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Nubi,

As far as I know there is no setting that will always give you the full error message text.
What you could do is to check for an error message using &FOCERRNUM, for example:
-IF &FOCERRNUM NE 0 THEN GOTO ERRMSG;
-ERRMSG
? &FOCERRNUM
-EXIT

As far as the other issue is concerned, I think it depends on the typing error if an error message is issued or not. In your case it must have been a very small typo, but it still resulted in WF taking the default iso whatever you wanted it to take.

Hope this helps ...
Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
-IF &FOCERRNUM NE 0 THEN GOTO ERRMSG;
-ERRMSG
? &FOCERRNUM
-EXIT

Cheers GamP,

ill try and use that code and see what i get.

yes the typo was 'connetcion' instead of 'connection' but i would expect it to throw up an error whether the syntax was wrong or if i had mispelled the value, for example if you type in TABEL FILE instead of TABLE FILE you get an error...

i may raise this as a bug.

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post